1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD950 - some DVDs just won't play

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RayP, Jul 26, 2003.

1. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi all,

Just under three years ago I bought a Philips DVD950 player and had it upgraded by the dealer to play R1 DVDs. Until the last couple of months it has behaved perfectly.

However, a month or so back I had to change "A Bugs Life" (R2) as it wouldn't play. I could hear the disc spinning in the tray but the menu wouldn't diisplay. The surface of the disc appeared fine.

Now tonight, a second disc - "The Mask" (R2) also won't play and the surface of the disk is absolutely perfect.

I've never used a DVD cleaner so do I need to? Or has the player developed a fault which would really annoy me as it's had reasonably light use and has not been abused by children. What are your views on Philips players and this one in particular?

I was considering a Denon 3800 Mk2 but after the posts here it's doubtful I'll risk it. What alternatives are worthy of consideration for a budget of up to £550 that would give me better picture and sound quality than the 950? Requirements are multi-region but progressive scan isn't mandatory as a plasma or LCD display is still some way off although if it doesn't add significantly to the cost it's not a problem.

My setup is JVC 32" 100Hz TV, Sky+, Denon A10SE amp, B&W CM4, B&W CMC, B&W DM600 S3. High quality cables used throughout.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would deff say give a lens cleaner a shot. Good chance it'll solve the problem.

3. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Thanks ferris, I'll try and get one tomorrow and I'll let everyone know if it solves the problem. Please God!!!

Cheers.

4. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi Ferris / all,

I'm sorry to report that after buying the IXOS DVD lens cleaner it didn't solve the poblem. In fact, that particular DVD couldn't be read either :(

A visit to DVD repair man is required.

Cheers.

5. RayP

RayP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Me again :hiya:

I persevered with the IXOS DVD cleaner and eventually it displayed the menu from where I could choose the lens cleaner option.

After completing the 30 second clean I tried a couple of DVDs that wouldn't previously play and I'm pleased to report that they now will :D

However, The Rock 2nd disc refuses to play ball but as I'm unlikely to watch that I can cope. In the end all that was required was a clean of the lens assembly. It's a dry-cleaning process using brushes and I can recommend it. £15 from John Lewis.

I'm quite relieved that my nearly 3-year-old player hasn't developed a fault.

Cheers.