1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD Recorders (DVDR70 + 615): Problems and what to do....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, May 17, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

I am actually enquiring on behalf of a friend re: the dreaded Philips DVD recorders and their associated problems - namely two models the DVDR70 and the later 615 (I think that's the model)

Basically my friend has a DVDR70 which is about a year and a half old (bought from online retailer Amazon). Perhaps, not surprisingly, it has started to play up. It won't recognise or play/record any discs. It appears to be linked the the laser assembley unit glue issue (although I am not of course 100% sure on this)

He has contacted Philips initially by phone and e mail, then letter, enclosing a copy of his receipt fully explaining the problem. Apparently Philips have sent him back a letter, basically 'fobbing' him off and not doing anything - or perhaps I should say, willing to sort it out, but for £141 !!!!! Obviously, readers on this forum will know about the dreadful, dreadful reputation Philips have regarding their DVD recorder range and customer service. BUT - I just wondered what the "official" line on this is... I thought that they were honouring repairs etc for up to 2 years? Is this now not the case?

My friend also has the same problem with a later unit (615 I think) and is fighting Currys about this (Currys - blimey - fatal mistake to purchase from that lot!) - the 615 is about 6 months old, so should be covered under the years guarantee. They want a replacement machine for this one, but Curry's will try to repair it. I know from bitter experience with Curry's that they have their 28 day ruling regarding money back/replacement machines but all the same it doesn't seem fair. Anyway, I think the dreaded MasterCare have lost the machine anyway, so that's in his favour !!

Anyway, sorry, getting back to my original question: Can anyone please help me with regards the policy with Philips and the common dvd recorder fault that is occurring on the DVDR70. I guess they will of course, deny any problems, but I now know many people this has happened to. I have a one, (still working!) but it has been demoted as a spare since reading these horror stories about Philips - I invested in a new Sony recently and I am so glad I did!

If anyone can advise, or have had dealings with Philips about this kind of issue, I would be really really grateful to hear your views.

Cheers

Paul

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry to hear about your friend's problems.

About the DVDR70: Philips will extend the 1 year guarantee to 2 years on some models with particular faults. However, as you have experienced, their Customer Services are a ludicrously inept bunch who appear to do all they can to put people off the idea of having obvious manufacturing faults put right. Therefore I would not recommend anyone approaching them directly, and the hitherto most successful way is to follow the instructions here. Points to emphasise in this initial contact are the nature of the failure (maybe you could find out for us exactly what the faults are), since the behaviour of a faulty OPU is a progressive inability to record, then even recognise, discs in the order +R, +RW, then DVD-ROM (commercial pressings).

I and many others have found ServiceCare to be very helpful and sympathetic, and AFAIK will give a different contact number for Philips to register the faulty unit prior to repair.

The 615 sounds like a different matter, since the retailer is responsible for taking care of things under the guarantee. They do have the option of repair, but if the fault is similar to that of the older Philips models, then a repair with a more robust OPU might be better than a new machine with the same type inside.

Let us know how you get on, since the advice to future Philips scenarios is only as good as the current information.

3. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Philips is the dreaded dvdr 890,so not the same model,but I had the same problem.After a month or two (I got it last August) it wouldn't read pre-recorded dvd's or dvd's recorded on other machines.I took mine to the Philips service (Athens,Greece) and the person in the queue behind me had the same problem! BUT,they did fix it with no problems within 10 days. Now however, I have a problem with the digital audio out and needs to go back!
    My Philips TV 9520 has problems too...I used to trust that name...not anymore!
    Sorry I can't help,at least the service here was fine!
    Debs

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, the 8x0 series were the machines which even Philips themselves acknowledged were defectively manufactured.