Philips DVD Recorders 2 years guarantee advice wanted

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmpoole, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've searched the forums and found a couple of items relating to the little known 2 year guarantee (especially by Musukebba).
    I've just been into Curry's and they know nothing about it but they are going to ring Mastercare on tuesday.
    Is there anybody on here who has had a repair done within the 12 month to 24 month period?
    Can anybody give me more ammo to attack Curry's with?

Thanks

2. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there dmpoole.

There is no official 2 year guarentee on Philips DVD recorders only a 1 year. The only reason people have had certain machines repaired between 12 and 24 months, is because they have written or e-mailed Philips directly and had their case looked at individually. The DVDR880/890 is a great example, as these were/are especially plagued by laser problems. I had mine repaired some 18 months after purchase by Philips.
    Currys have nothing to do with getting your DVDR repaired after 1 year, so take this up with Philips. Which model do you have??

3. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

This model is the DVDR70.

I had a 890 that Richer Sounds swopped fopr a DVDR75 and thats still working at the moment.

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, as Niburu says Currys will probably defer from trying to help, you despite their legal obligations. The latest information on what to do can be found on the old DVDplusRW forum here. It really depends on what type of malfunction your R70 machine has. As you can see from your own experience, the R7x's were not as badly affected as the 8x0's.

Let us know how you get on. If you don't find enough responses here, then there's always the new home for the DVDplusRW boys over on CD Freaks.

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have a DVDR70 that started to play up a little..I bought mine from a small local dealer who said that they would send it away to Philips for repair in the second year as Philips have agreed to do this (apparently - I am just saying what I was told). A friend of mine had a DVDR70 which totally went wrong (bought at the same time as mine) - We now both will never ever touch Philips products again - this feeling I know must be echoed by many, many people who've suffered with Philips DVD Recorders.

The DVDR70/75/80 range have not been as badly affected as the earlier 880/890 series but there are still some serious problems with Philips and their DVD recorders. Most people I hope will think twice before purchasing them.

AND - I am soooo sorry that you bought yours from Curry's. My God, you will need some decent luck to get this awful retailer (and I use the word 'retailer' loosely - there are plently of other things I could call Curry's but I will respect the rules on this forum)... You have a job and a half just trying to get them (or the dreaded MasterCare) to get things repaired even within the first year of guarantee, so I really wish you the best of luck if you are going to try and push them to do anything ....

Might be better to contact Philips yourself to be honest. Although their customer service also leaves a lot to be desired...

Good Luck ... and if you can't get anywhere, please consider something like a Sony in future for a DVD recorder. I have a GX300 which is a superb dual format machine.

6. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The anecdotal evidence is that calling the ServiceCare number (an independent service centre) is the best preliminary step. An authorisation number is then required from Philips.

BTW the Sony machine has virtually no <plus> editing facilities: something worth pointing out for those who expect them if a transfer from a Philips machine is being advised.

7. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I've just this second come back from two weeks in Tunisia.