Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips DVD recorder or home build?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Aladdin, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be working in Germany for several weeks. During the week, I stay in a hotel in Germany and then come back to the UK for the weekends.

The hotel where I'm staying doesn't have any English TV channels and so the evenings can get a bit tedious. What I want to do is watch UK TV programs that have been recorded for me during the week.

Obviously, I can't cart around a VCR and a load of tapes. However, I do have a laptop with a DVD player so I could bring this and programmes recorded on DVD. Ideally, the programs I want to watch could be recorded automatically by me setting a schedule but, at worse case, my wife could do the recording manually.

The question is what do I need to record the programmes onto DVD? I don't want to spend too much as I only need to do this for a few weeks but I could spend around £300.

My first and simplest option would be to buy a lower end dedicated DVD recorder like the Philips DVDR70 for around £250. I'm a bit loathe to do this as it's an old model.

The option which I prefer is to build a PC-based DVD recording system as it should be more flexible and upgradeable.

I need some advice on the kind of spec I need. I thought about building the system around an EPIA ME1000 motherboard but is the processor up to recording a TV source. Although it's only got on-board graphics (and sound) my thinking is I don't need the display to be brilliant as I will be watching the recorded DVDs on my laptop.

The other bits I'll need are memory, hard drive, DVD drive and a capture card. In terms of memory will 256MB be enough?

I thought I'd get a large hard drive as it will always be useful so I'd go for 120GB or 160GB. I don't know if I'd need to record first to the hard drive and then to the DVD disc or whether I could record directly to DVD. (Again, my wife could change the discs when I asked her too if required).

I'm not sure what capture card to get. The Nebula card seems to get good reviews so this is a definetly a contender. Any other suggestions?

Also, what suggestions do you have for a DVD recorder drive? Ideally, it would be multi-regionable

I realise that going the PC route will go over my £300 budget but I'm sure I'll use the components in other set-ups I have.

In summary, would the following set-up be a better option than an cheap DVD recorder:

Epia ME1000
    256MB RAM
    160GB hard disk
    Nebula TV card
    NEC +/- R/RW DVD recorder

2. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have one of the early Phillips DVD recorders, which I no longer use, as I got fed up with "Disc error" messages, "Copy Protect" messages etc. They are great for the convenience of using it like a VCR onto +RW discs for the purposes you describe, but not for long term archiving of programs.

I now use a Nebula card and a Vidac VMagic MPEG2 hardware encoder card for archiving from Sky+, as it ignores Macrovision etc. The MPEG2 files produced from these two have to be modified with PVAstrumento first, then can be either burnt direct as data onto DVDR/W for playback on a PC, or authored with the likes of Ulead DVD Workshop for stand-alone player use. (Unless your DVD player will play raw MPEG files)

Both the Nebula and Vidac cards are hardware based so you do not need a beefy processor to use them. Memory and HDD size is fine.

3. Aladdin

Aladdin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham,

You convinced me to go down the PC route!

4. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eh? He's pretty much convinced me not to... I record on DVD+RW with my Philips DVDR880 and then when I want to watch it on my pj I just pop it into my HCPC and hey presto! It's treated like a prerecorded dvd and films are shown in progressive scan using PowerDVD 5.

5. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Give it time...