1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD R70 widescreen problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chrisjoanne, Oct 13, 2003.

1. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had the Phillips DVDR70 for around 2 weeks now and I am very happy with the player however I would like to know if I have the player set up correctly.

Right here goes........

When I switch between Tv/DVD on the remote ie direct Sky to TV or Sky via DVD to TV the picture is slightly blurred when going through the DVD player.

Therefore the copies are not absolutely perfect. I've changed scarts and this doesn't seemed to have helped.

On the "System" menu I have my Tv shape as "4:3 letterbox" but the picture is not shown as letterbox but "pulled" to fit the screen so everything looks thin.

Scart video is RGB.

The recording settings have got me a little confused too.

Is it correct the "direct recording" should be "on" ?
    Sat record set to EX 2. ?

My recorder has started to record without actually any program information being set. ie Video plus ? ? ? ?

Is this because it has read the information of Sky Digital auto view and decided to record it?

I think once I have totally understood this player I will be 100% satisfied.

The one poor point is the remote control - your fingers seem to go round the houses before you remember which button does what......or it may just be me :)

I'm thinking of buying some £50 QED scarts. Will this improve picture quality (I'm using monster scarts at present)

Thanks for your help.

Chris

2. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought of another small problem.

When viewing Sky pictures via the DVD it seems to take ages when scrolling through the Sky channels.

When I then go through Sky direct to the TV it is instant.

There is definitely a delay - any ideas?

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    My DVDR70 & Sky+ box work fine together using RGB to a Philips 32" Widescreen.

Not sure how your setup can affect the scrolling through channels. Bizarre.

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't waste your money on new scarts - they won't make any difference as the ones you already have are easily good enough.

I have no experience with the Philips machine but I've read that the output when monitoring has been processed (encoded and decoded). This would account for the delays you're seeing.

Don't know about the 4:3 thing or record modes, sorry.

5. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the replies.

Yeah, there is a small delay when going up or down via the Sky channels.
    When watching Sky on Tv going direct through the Sky digital player you can "race" to certain channel but if I go via the DVD recorder EX 2 there is quite a delay which is frustrating.
    It's press up wait a second, make sure its moved, right up again etc.

I've just checked the settings again and its got me beat.
    When watching ITV 2 (Cor. Street) which was in widescreen I could watch it fine on the AV2 on my Tv but when switched to AV1 it went pair shaped and pulled the top and bottom of the picture to fit my Tv.

By the way my Tv is a 4:3 not widescreen but I can't see this being the problem.

Thanks
    Chris

6. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've read that the QED scart cable AV4110 is ideal for DVD and digital Tv as it excludes unused wires to cut interference.

As I've said on other posts my Sky digital pictures have a very faint "halo" effect around objects and would like to know if this would correct this problem too.

I'm sure I'm not being too picky. :)

Chris

7. djnsh

djnsh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe I can answer both questions which I feel this thread is asking

1: The problem with the machine recording for no apparent reason:

I have found, like most of you, that if a blank disc in present in the machine and the machine is switched off, the machine will start recording when a Sky DigiBox is switched on, regardless of make or model.

The reason for this is that when you press the big blue 'sky' button on the remote, the digiBox sends a signal via the signalling pin of the scart lead to trigger the AV channel of a TV. However this signal will also initiate the DVD recorder and start recording which can only then be stopped by pressing the power button of the machine. Likewise a similar signal, half the voltage is also used by DVD players, and the like, to signal widescreen TV's to change to 16:9 (wide) mode.

As this is the most common way of connecting the SkyDigi box to a DVD recorder to take adavantage of RGB the options available to get around the problem are limited. There are two ways to tackle this annoying problem.

Firstly, I believe the signalling can be turned off in the services menu of the digibox. Secondly, the pin reponsible for the signalling can be manually cut within a scart plug - however I am not going to tell you how to do this in case mistakes are made and your valuable equipment is damaged!

2: The supposedly sluggish behaviour of sky when viewed using 'Monitor' of the DVD recorder:

When any source is monitored through the Philips DVD recorders, such as the sky EPG, for the picture to be produced the actual input to be recorded on the recorder is buffered as a process required by the MPEG2 encoding process. This is how you are able to judge the different qualities on offer when pressing record mode, (i.e: cycle through M1, M2, M2+, M3 and so on).

There is now way to avoid this and it is perfectly normal - the picture you are seeing is exactly what you will get recorded onto disc.

I hope I have been of some help!

8. chrisjoanne

chrisjoanne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent stuff djnsh.

Your post has (hopefully) answered my questions and I'll certainly have another look at the service menu tonight. (for both Sky and the DVD player.)

It's taken one full day to answer my question but I knew someone out there had the answers. :lesson:

I'm a little surprised these questions haven't been asked before as I'm sure other people must have the same annoying little prob's.

Cheers mate.
    Chris