1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD Q40

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by daftmole, Oct 6, 2002.

1. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Hi there,

Been a window shopper here for a while, but decided to join. I have recently bought the Philips DVD Q40, and although I'm very pleased with the visuals and sound, some of my discs seem to freeze. I have done some research and the freezes do not seem to tie up to the known layer changes. I have also experienced some black lines on the screen when the image flashes to white, which is becoming annoying.

Can anybody help me to whether this is a problem, or just something I'll have to live with? (I am connected to a Philips 28pw6515 television, via a RGB scart)

Many thnx.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    With regard to freezers...
    Assuming your discs are pristine, your Philips is probably in need of attention, maybe a visit to your supplying dealer will help.
    Ask if newer firmware is available.
    The black lines, are they visible with S-Video too ? Could be your tv, your lead or your DVD player to blame.

3. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    gringottsdirect, thnx for the reply. The television has recently been repaired by engineers, so I'm hoping it's not that! I'll test it on S-video and see what happens. I've actually found that the Philips DVD Q50 has had a reported similar problem with DVD skipping and freezing, and this has been resolved by a firmware upgrade. I'm going to contact Philips directly and see what they say.

I have also spoke to unbeatable.co.uk where I purchased the player from, and they have offered me a refund, as long as its within 28 days of me purchasing it, so I have a week to decide. I really like the player apart from these problems!

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The DVDQ40 is not part of Philips latest range, have a look at DVD870P, or if SACD appeals, DVD763SA.
    Investigate Panasonic DVDRA-82EBS too, DVD-Audio instead of SACD.
    Obviously things move on but if you are happy with your Q40 have a swap-out.

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I'd dig this one up to see how you got on. Did you manage to sort out the freezing problem? Just asking 'cos I have a Q40 that was freezing and have managed to sort it out. If you're still having probs, post here and I'll help you sort them out....

6. daftmole

daftmole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Thanx Army Bloke, but after trying another Q40 which done exactly the same, I exchanged it for a Toshiba 220. Which I've been very impressed with.

I'd be interested in what the problem was because I did read that there was a possible firmware ugrade, but i didn't want to invalidate my warranty. Shame because i thought the player was excellent bar the freezing and skipping!

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually DOWNGRADED the firmware!! I found it on the net, downloaded it, burnt it on to CD, loaded it into the player and it did it all itself. Also, you need to turn off all the power management dongles in the last menu. Mine was freezing on every film before I did this and hasn't frozen once since.....