1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Car man sleeps, May 8, 2005.

1. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My (new!) DVD player has got a DVD stuck in it, and refuses to open. Just sits there trying to open and close itself endlessly.

Any ideas? Servicing is difficult b/c the e-tailer says they don't do that :thumbsdow

Philips of course say the e-tailer will sort it all out for me...

Car man

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Ah the joys of buying cheap on the internet. You will need to send it back to the retailer at your cost and they will then arrange for a repair under Philips' warranty. They will then it send it back to you at your cost.

Is there a reason why you didn't buy from your local dealer? Too expensive you say? Where have those savings gone now?

I'm sorry if this is not the case, but my first statement is correct, you are liable for getting the faulty product to and from the retailer, they are responsible for getting it repaired or replaced by Philips.

3. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Fair point about buying online, although I did save over £200 so I can afford to mail it off a couple of times before I hit break-even...

But surely there must be some other way to get this thing to work??? I mean, how hard can be it to get a DVD out of a DVD player!!??

Car man

4. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you take the casing off you can just slide the DVD from under the Laser !
    Switch it off first! :thumbsup:

5. Car man sleeps

Car man sleeps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks...I guess that would invalidate the guarantee though...so then if it still doesn't work I'll be screwed!

6. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Who would know you had taken the cover off? I had the same problem with the Mother in Laws Phillips DVD player !

7. thewul

thewul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    err i wouldnt recomend prizing the disc out from under the laser as the disc will be clamped between the spindle motor and disc clamper. You could damage the turntable or the clamper then you are in trouble.

you may be able to get to the loading motor/gears and wind the disc out by hand but if the disc is stuck the chances are their is a fault with the machine an it will need repairing

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    PC DVD drives normally have a little hole that you can push a straightened paper clip in to eject a stuck disk. Any sign of one of those?

9. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The one i opened the disc was not clamped ,the disc had been put in the machine upside down I just put my finger on the disc & slid it out no problem!