1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVD 963SA - opinions please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Stonedragon, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for a DVD player that will see me through for the next 1218 months or so, until HD DVD/Blu-Ray arrives so I dont want to spend to much money. Anycase I was speaking to a dealer today and he swears by this player even in the face of newer models like the Denon 1910 etc. Looking at the reviews, it was ceartinly 'hot' in its day, but how does it compare with todays models in the £200 price bracket? Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome along with suggestions on how to get the best from this player should I decide to buy. :)

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This player I think is the best out there, your dealer knows what he is talikng about. Mine is lovely, video is excellent and very fine audio (SACD as well). My SDI modded one has the best video I have seen from ANY player. A great buy efore it goes.

3. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also check out the Philips DVP900SA which is arriving at shops at this time and is the successor of the DVD963SA.

4. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nic and Aqula,

Thanks for the info. I've decided to buy it and this should see me right until HD DVD/BluRay arrives. Cheers :) :)

5. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Stonedragon,

Did you get the 963sa?? can you tell me were from and (if you don't mind) how much - i'm looking for a new player and the 963sa is something of a darkhorse so is on my shortlist.

cheers
    Gary

6. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The 963SA is fine for me for what I want it for (SDI output), BUT:

I found the 576i (comp) to be good, 576p to be poor, sound moderate, and the responsiveness to the remote utterly terrible. Press...wait....action!

The analogue pic and sound output nowhere near my DV88+, but I suppose in a junior league in comparison.

As an SDI player though..... :)