1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvd 880 finally gone T*TS UP..help needed chosing a replacement

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by p.booth, Apr 10, 2004.

1. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Well It finally happened,My Philips 880 dvd recorder has taken to refusing to record.
    I would welcome your suggestions for a replacement. No Philips models please.
    Leaning towards a recorder with a hard drive inside.
    Any one got either of the Sony machines??
    Thanks for any input.
    :D

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I think you would be very happy with one of the Panasonic models but it doesn't record to +. I had a E50 and now have a HS2. The new E85 is very nice and comes with 80GB HDD.

http://www.avland.co.uk/panasonic/dmre85/dmr-e85h.htm

I think the Sony are very expensive but they work with - and +. They are very high quality as a recorder and player. I have heard the Sony HDD models won't be about for many months.

3. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    "I have heard the Sony HDD models won't be about for many months."

Thanks nwgarratt.
    I`ve just read also that the new Sony Hdd models will be released in the Autumn.
    Looked at the pioneer5100 (80 gig) hd recorder.
    I`ve looked at thePanny e85 and found it £550 from Chimps AVLAND.
    £530 from Superfi + £509from HIfi suppliers ,and an unbeleivable
    £484.95from dvdplayers.co.uk MR free delivery and in stock.
    Only ever heard of Avland + superfi. any ideas regarding DvdplayersUK.??

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I haven't used any of them.

£485 sounds a really good price though.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would heartily recommend the 5100.DVD-RW is a more flexible format than DVDRAM,as you can choose whether you want editing sophistication(VR MODE) like RAM,or whether you want to play your -RW recording in another player(VIDEO MODE),like DVD+.The 5100 also offers the TIMESLIP function that used to be exclusive to RAM,and it records PAL 60 aswell as NTSC.Panny machines do not.The one advantage Panny maintains is the RGB input.If you do not have Sky+ you will be stuck with composite,but Sky+ can connect to the 5100's S-video input,giving almost as good results.Not sure whether the E85 offers thr helpful 'disc backup' function of the Pioneer.You can do a digital copy,like a PC rewriter,of any home recorded -R/-RW disc in 25 minutes.The 5100 is offered at around £549 at the moment

6. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Thanks for that phelings.
    I do have sky + and was hoping to use the Rgb signal from it to the recorder so i beleive that narrows it down further (also including a hard drive) to Panny + Pioneer .will do a lot of reading and trawling the net this weekend with a view to a purchase Tues /Wed. I will certainly take a closer look at the 5100. Thanks again.

7. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have misread my post.The Pioneer does NOT accept RGB input,but I'm sure that you would be happy with the quality using the s-video output from Sky+.Its quite bad that most current dvd recorders don't have RGB input(Panny,Philips,ad I think Sony only).If you only have a standard digibox,most of which don't have s-video,then its composite only,which I would find unacceptable on dvd recordings.The 5100 is a bargain ,but prices vary between £549 and ovr £700,so shop around- a lot of places will price match

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 880 has gone down the tubes too. It's the second one I had. Luckily I took out a 5 year warranty with Richer Sounds and they swapped for an HS2 for an extra £106 and given me a 3 year warranty. So I'm well pleased with RS for hassle free service.

However I've been continually disappointed with the HS2.

Firstly it's looks. The mirror finish looks quite good in isolation but when you put it next to brushed aluminium units it looks really tacky and the brightly coloured lights add to this. The 880 was a much classier looking machine.

Secondly what you get with it. The remote has cheap and plastic look and feel and needs to be pointed like a gun for it to work. It's not too intuitive either and I can't get next/previous chapter to work.

There's no cheap scart lead at all to get you going which is annoying as I've been waiting ages for the Ixos one I ordered, so I'm having to use composite to my telly at the moment. There's also no starter DVD-RAM included, which is disappointing considering the cost of the unit. I suppose you don't actually need one to get started.

Thirdly the tuner is not as good as the philips as I've lost 3 channels from ntl analogue which my Panasonic tv also could not get.

Lastly and cetainly not least, there is a terrible lip synch problem when using it to watch live tv. For some people this is not a great problem but I use a DVD recorder to watch live tv on my projector and this is just not acceptable.

I can live with the first 3 disappointments but the last I have to do something about. I have two choices, look for an elusive firmware upgrade or go for a Toshiba RDSX30 which is cheaper, has larger hdd but unfortunatelyno RGB in.

Anyone want to give me some advice?

With all the Philips bashing and Pannasonic evangalism on this forum, I feel a bit misinformed.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I don't want to put you down anymore but, I have a HS2 and it works fine.

I upgraded from a E50 which also worked well. I really like the mirror finish, even though it is on a stack of black devices.

I did ntoice that the remote likes to be pointed directly at the recorder.

I am wondering if you have a old HS2. The early ones had lip sync problems but this shouldn't affect new models.

The lip sync occured when the unit was switched on and a signal passed through it. A temporary solution was to record then timeslip and watch it a few seconds behind.

If Iwas using NTL, I wouldn't even use the tuner. Does it have scart. These recorders work best when going from NTL to AV2 on scart. Then put the recorder on AV2 to watch the NTL.

10. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ntl is analogue on rf and is a cheap way to be able to watch one channel while recording another as well as getting Sky 1 which has a few good programmes like Malcolm in the Middle.

The signal isn't great and needs a sensitive analogue tuner to pick up a few of it's channels like e4.

The recorder is from Richer Sounds and so may be an early one. I will probably try the timeslip to cure the problem - besides if you start watching 10 minutes behind you can skip the ad breaks.

I'm trying to source a digibox with s-video out so I can watch live telly from the satellite tuner direct.

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horses for courses.I found the HS2 much nicer looking than the 880.On the Philips if you press skip,it takes a couple of seconds to actually work.And on the HS2 you can actually picture search in variable speeds,not just 4x(too slow) or 32x(too fast) like you are stuck with on the Philips.
    I agree the lip synch problem is a pain.Does it not work ok with the HS2 in standby?

12. steveba

steveba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p booth

How long have you had your 880? My Dad took his back to Apollo (after more than a year), and they admitted they had a lot of problems with that model. They gave him a brand new DVDR75 instead, no fuss.

Might be worth a try!

13. steveba

steveba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p booth

How long have you had your 880? My Dad took his back to Apollo (after more than a year), and they admitted they had a lot of problems with that model. They gave him a brand new DVDR75 instead, no fuss.

Might be worth a try!

14. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is, I'm using the HS2 to send s-video signals to the projector, so when it's in standby I get no picture!

THere are solutions but either they are messy and inconvenient or expensive.

The easiest solution would probably be to get a digibox with s-video out and use the AV reciever to switch between the digibox and HS2. Alas these are too rare and I've just bought one with RGB and composite only.

The best quality solution would be a sweetspot card for the hcpc and use dScaler using the RGB out signal from the scart and plugging in the telly with s-video or composite. But that's £200 for the caputure card.

The cheapest solution probably would be to get a scart to vga cable and a female/female adapter to connect it to the 15m vga cable from the HCPC. But then you'd have to keep swapping the vga cable between the HS2 and HCPC and also reconfigure the VGA port on the pj.

That leaves me with timeslip or watching something after it's been recorded. In fact what I should really do is record a film, edit out the adverts, dub to DVD-r and play it on the pj using the HCPC. That way I also get to keep it. Or I could get an LG dvd burner to play films on after recording them onto DVD RAM.

There are a lot of options... :confused:

15. Algenon

Algenon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Write to Philips and explain the problem, i did this even though my 890 was out of warranty. I told them that i had heard these problems were inherent with these models. Not only did they pick up my dvdr the next day and return it within a week (for free) the picture quality has vastly improved and it is astounding. They have fitted the latest chip tech so i got all sorts of extras.:clap:

16. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Algenon ,have you the address ??
    Cheers PBooth

17. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you are still stuck with archaic DVD+ technology.What are these extras you refer too.A decent FF speed would be good for starters

18. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Steveba ,, without my proof of purchase Philips are unwilling to help in anyway.

19. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Algenon,, I assume you had your proof of purchase. They asked for mine and declined to help ,when I told them I couldn`t find it.