• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Philips DTR5520 Firmware Update

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Did you put uzipped file(s) onto your memory stick ?
Sometimes people forget that and just put the zipfile there.
Also is the memory stick FAT32 formatted ?
(other formats may not be read properly).

AlexS

Not yet, but the fact the latest firmware is recent ( therefore not discontinued ) and the unit transcodes 5.1 sound means it should pass Dbook 6.2.1 spec with a future firmware update.
This will allow iPlayer through the new MHEG Red button service.

The I-can easy HD receiver aleady supports iplayer as standard and has a TopupTV card slot.
It should also support the new iplayer Red button service with a firmware update.
Although not currently listed in stock on the Tesco website, check out your local superstore, they may have one in stock at the website price. :D
I-Can Easy HD Freeview HD TV Receiver - Tesco.Direct

holiver

Sounds promising... I do much prefer the look of this box over the Technika for example. Will try to pick one up cheaply!

holiver

Received mine today for £47 all in. Will get the latest firmware on it tonight when I get home. I've 4 USB pens to choose from, although 3 are Corsair Voyager GTs. The other is a Play.com own-branded unit.

rd100

I spoke to philips about this receive and they tell me there is not going to be a iplayer or online services or no media streaming:thumbsdow

holiver

That sucks! Was that via phone or email?

I was able to upgrade the firmware OK with mine last night. I really hope the product continues to receive more support from Pace/Philips.

BrunoSky

Standard Member
Try another pen drive.
I got 2 different brands, one works on such devices, the other doesn't ! Both work fine on a PC.
Got a DTR5520 last night from Asda for £50, did the update with the uncompressed firmware from the Philips www link on the known working pen drive and followed the instructions on this link :
DTR5520/05 Philips Digital Terrestrial Receiver DTR5520 high definition - Philips Support

Now running v7.19 and I'm well pleased.

I got one of these from Asda Direct last week, now £40. I don't think I would have paid the price when it first came out. I was going to spend £30 on a basic Freeview box.
After reading lots of reviews I thought it best to update the software.
This has solved the issue where you are in the EPG and you press OK. It doesn't lock the channel as previous, it goes to the channel selected.
My pen drive was OK with this software and the instructions on the Philips site were clear, although not detailed. Another pleased user. :D

lou_smorals

Standard Member
Hi
I bought one of these online and paid nearly £50 for it, It constantly gets stuck in standby and I am close to smashing it to pieces, unfortunately Philips have withdrawn all support and files for ggggrrrrrr I want to try usb update.
LS

AlexS

Hi
I bought one of these online and paid nearly £50 for it, It constantly gets stuck in standby and I am close to smashing it to pieces, unfortunately Philips have withdrawn all support and files for ggggrrrrrr I want to try usb update.
LS

I don't think they've removed the files as such but they do sometimes alter the website. Some items become unavailable for a while but usually return.
Firmware v7.19 is the latest and makes the unit very stable. ( in my experience anyway :D )

lou_smorals

Standard Member
Hi
many thanks AlexS, I dont suppose you have the file? mine has v3.05 loader v1.13 and is hardware ver 5.01.
LS

Last edited:

monkeybot

Standard Member
Can someone email me the file,it has disappeared from the phillips site,i have emailed them but they never reply,brilliant customer care!!!!

I have what seems to be a nice device that is made virtually useless by a bug in the EPG!

Thanks

:lease:

AlexS

Found it.

File is magello_DTR5520_v7.19.bin size is 7168Kb

PM me your email with dot instead of . in a poor attempt to minimise spambots. :D
eg fred dot bloggs at company dot com

thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom