Philips DTR500

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by eddyad, Mar 26, 2005.

1. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone have any experience of the Philips DTR500-5 Freeview box?

I'd specially like to know if the timer can be set from the 7-day EPG and if the TV-out scart turns on under timer control - I'd like to auto-start my DVD recorder in RGB mode.

Thanks for any help

2. move_over_rover

move_over_rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently bought one of these STBs and so far I am quite pleased with it. One reason for choosing it was to switch on for recording my Philips DVDR70 from the timers and I have managed to figure out how to do it. From the EPG you can click on a program, store the timer (and edit the timer settings to add a bit extra time). Then when the DTR500 starts so does the DVD recorder (and switches off ok too). The info in the manuals wasn't very clear on this but I just tried the various options. In fact I asked about this at the Philips website and I've just had a reply back saying it won't work!
    RGB is output from the TV scart on the 500 not the recorder scart I believe, but the picture quality looks good to me. I've not tried using the TV scart for this. One snag for recording from this is the audio is variable on this output.

I hope this helps.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes - it helped a lot - thanks
    I have downloaded the manual and it was a bit hazy about EPG timer setting - only dealt with Now and Next.
    Have you tried s-video from the VCR-out? That would be my intention as it is pretty near RGB quality - some people say it's better at times.
    Is the Audio Level OK from the VCR out - although I can always tweak the DVD recorder.

4. move_over_rover

move_over_rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ***Have you tried s-video from the VCR-out?
    Not yet - I may have a look - is this just a settings thing that may improve my picture?

***Is the Audio Level OK from the VCR out
    It is on all the time at a fixed level -so no problem. You wouldn't want this varied or muted by the remote when recording. The remote can do this to the TV scart audio.

My present hook up is using the record scart from the 500 with the signal passed through the DVDR (when that is off) to TV. This is so I can use my old STB into second TV scart to view a digital channel whilst recording another.
    There seem to compromises to be made in this video connection lark.
    I may pick up a scart sw box sometime. Are there good cheap ones to be had anyone?

Cheers

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    S-vid will give better picture quality than Composite. But as you are wiring through the DVDR to the TV you will need everythind running in s-vid:
    1. The DVDR 'in' must be set to s-video (from the DTR500)
    2. Ditto the 'out' (to your TV)
    3. You need to use a TV scart socket that takes s-video. If it gets s-video it will switch automatically in most cases.
    4. If your old STB has RGB out then use that to the appropriate TV scart - it
    should have one that is OK for RGB. This will also switch automatically if it gets RGB from the source.

This should give you the best performance all round as you will have RGB for watching TV and s-video throught the recording chain.

This is exactly what I want to do and explains why I asked the particular questions I did.
    If what I suggest is OK you have no need for a scart switch box.

RGB and s-video are so close as to be almost indistinguishable most of the time. It's Composite that is the 'poor relation'.

6. move_over_rover

move_over_rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ***Have you tried s-video from the VCR-out? That would be my intention as it is pretty near RGB quality - some people say it's better at times.

I have now and my setup is as you outlined here:-

***S-vid will give better picture quality than Composite. But as you are wiring through the DVDR to the TV you will need everythind running in s-vid:
    1. The DVDR 'in' must be set to s-video (from the DTR500)
    2. Ditto the 'out' (to your TV)
    3. You need to use a TV scart socket that takes s-video. If it gets s-video it will switch automatically in most cases.
    4. If your old STB has RGB out then use that to the appropriate TV scart - it
    should have one that is OK for RGB. This will also switch automatically if it gets RGB from the source.

This should give you the best performance all round as you will have RGB for watching TV and s-video throught the recording chain.***

My old STB is a Philips ITV digital box and my TV is a 28'' Hitachi wide screen.
    Switching between STBs old- RGB/DTR500- s-video (from recorder scart) gives no discernable change in picture quality.

Thanks for the info!

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That's useful info for me - thanks.