Philips DTR500 outputs

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Passingbat, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Hi. Could someone with a Philips DTR500 Freeview box tell me what the digital audio out connection is ---- Coaxial or Optical? I've downloaded the manual and it's unclear. Page 14 says it is a CINCH cable, which I think is RCA Phono but the picture shows an optical output on the back. Phillips tell me it's coaxial. As I've run out of optical inputs on my Yamaha RXV1500, I need a coaxial output from the Freeview box.

Could someone also confirm what (I think) the manual says, that I can get RGB from the TV SCART and S-Video from the Video scart.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Cinch connectors are usually phono (RCA) - although Cinch are a company that make lots of different connectors.

Can't help you with the other enquiries - Philips are a brand that are on my "don't touch with a barge pole" list :)

3. SquidMan

SquidMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a peek at the back of my DTR 500, it has standard stereo phono for audio, and a digital audio out... which seems to be a single phono-type socket... don't know if this helps... it certainly doesn't have optical!

You can get RGB Scart signal from the TV output, and a standard signal for the video scart... let me know if you need any more details :)

Cheers

SquidMan

4. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Thanks very much SquidMan for looking, it's so very much appreciated. That's what I wanted to hear --- as I understand it, coaxial audio out uses a single phono plug.

5. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Reading the manual I'm pretty sure you can get S-Video from the video scart output, even though Philips told me you can't (it says you can get Y/C, which I'm fairly sure is S-Video).

Are you happy with your DTR500 and have you had any problems? It seems to be the best box for me, considering my connection requirements :)

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Y/C is indeed s-video :)

7. Passingbat

Passingbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Thanks Nick for the confirmation.

The thing I find worrying is that the answer that S-Video wasn't available from the VCR scart, came from someone in Philips engineering. Do they not know that Y/C is S-Video?. That coupled with a manual that shows a drawing with the digital output labeled (and drawn as) 'Digital OPTICAL Out' is concerning. On the plus side, the support person I spoke to was extremely helpful and though, as even he couldn't provide answers from a 'faulty' manual, he did ring me back the same day with the engineering dept. reply :)

8. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any adapter which would allow two optical feeds into one? If there was, would it be a good idea?!? :eek: Just wondering.