Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips DTR 1500 No Freeview from RF out.

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by pwiles1968, Oct 11, 2003.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have just put a Philips DTR 1500 in for my father in law, no problems picked up all channels expected even in a weak signal area with great picture out of the Scart, the RF channels were being looped through but there was no Freeview signal from the RF out. This is not important for the Telly downstairs but I had intending hooking it up so he could watch the Freeview signal upstairs if he wanted to, I could see no option anywhere to turn this on, is this a problem with the box :confused: , or are Phillips being cheap and not putting an RF modulator in the box. :thumbsdow

If there is no RF modulator in this box what other boxes are available that have this facility? :smashin:

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    I have the same box and it is impressive. I don't use the RF connection (scart connection to a DVD recorder), but according to the spec it has full range RF loopthough.

In the installation menu you allocate the RF to a channel, mine is set to 45. I then assume you just tune the TV/VCR to the 45 channel and get freeview.

Is that what you need?

3. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    So what does the RF modulator do?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It modulates the video and audio output of a STB and allocates it a RF frequency and then sends it out of the RF socket. This allows you to not only have the TV tuned into the five analogue channels but also a sixth which carries the STB specific output, otherwise you can only watch the STB output via scart/s-video or composite phonos.
    The Philips only has RF loopthrough which means that RF analogue channels that are present on the input signal are also present on the output signal but you can not output the STB specific output via RF.

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you connect the Philips to a VCR via the vcr scart, then the freeview signal will be available via the VCR's RF out.

7. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This assumes you have a video with an RF modulator.

8. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What do you mean? Are you saying this VCR doesn't have a scart socket that can be output via the RF out by setting the VCR's tuner to the external input? I would have thought just about any VCR less than 10 years old would have this capability.

9. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This vcr does not even have the ability to record via the main scart! do not know how old it is, the scart 2 is a satellite control something or outer, I have told them to buy a new VCR.

10. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I sent an enquiry to Philips about this problem via the web site and received the obligatory reply saying it is being processed and someone would get back in 2 days, which was a month ago but still nothing despite a reminder. Recently they actually had the cheek to send me a questionnaire to ask how the service I received was, the responses obviously were not favourable. I do hate poor customer service.:mad:

11. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess they probably feel it's not worth answering. If you buy something which specifies "RF loopthrough" but no "RF modulator" you can't expect it to have an RF modulator.

It's like buying a base-model car then complaining it doesn't have ABS, traction control, heated leather seats or whatever. The dealer just thinks you are taking the p;ss.

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It does not say in the specification 'No RF Modulator', If it did I would know there was no modulator and would not have asked the question.

A car specification may not say it has a radio but in current times you would expect a radio in your car!