1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Digital Widescreen problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by makk, Apr 21, 2002.

1. makk

makk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a Philips 32DW9625 and have noticed that the picture seems to have a kind of "ghosting" to the right of any vertical(ish) lines. It happens on all sources i.e. digital, analogue and via the Scart/SVHS inputs. It's noticably worse when there is a darker image against a light background (such as the presenters on BBC News 24) or when there's a large plain area (like when watching the golf yesterday).

Has anybody come accross this before?

I am now on the second set and the engineer who visited the other day said that this was common to all large TV's but Philips were worse than others. I am inclined to give up and send the thing back at the moment!!

Neil

2. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will always see that kind of effect on video because of the edge enhancement applied to the signal at source e.g. the BBC.

The level of 'enhancement' varies from source to source and can be made to look worse when other 'enhancement' features in the playback and display equipment add their own ghost edges or ringing around medium to high constrast edges. VCRs do it by default as do many TVs via the sharpness control (try turning this down or off) and via scanning velocity modulation (SVM or Scavem) this can be turned off on only a rare few TVs, will probably require an engineer to disable it on most Philips TVs.

You will never get rid of the ringing from a video source with current domestic consumer video equipment, but you may be able to prevent it looking worse by correct calibration of your TV and associated video sources.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had this set delivered 3 weeks ago. I have not noticed the problems you have had and in general am quite happy with the set.

The internal digi-box was not secured to the rear casing so I had an engineer out to fix it.

We have noticed in the top right hand corner of our screen, on digital channels 1, 10 & 11 the letter P. Upper case, white text on grey background.

Once it appears we cannot get rid of it unless we power of the set.

Have you seen this on your set ?

I tired e-mailing Philips UK but apparently they are having problems with the website. So in the end I e-mailed Philips Sweden (only direct e-mail address I could find) and asked them to pass on to Philips UK.

They replied saying I needed an engineer to come out and look at the set.

Prior to calling an engineer I tried to get more info from Philips UK and called them. Customer services wouldn't give anymore info just said I should contact the retailer and request an engineer visit.

Prior to visiting, the engineer spoke to Philips UK & Philips Holland and was told we needed an overair update. He told me to try that and if it didn't fix it to request a call out. It didn't fix it.

The engineer came out, was most helpful, spoke to Philips Germany and UK and was told I needed an overair update from ITVD.

So he tried it. Didn't fix it. He then said that he would report the set as faulty. That way if we couldn't put up with it until the update was available we could get a refund.

He tried phoning ITVD for me but the customer services were pretty hopeless and just said the set was faulty and he should speak to Philips. I thought that was the response I would get which is why I asked the engineer to phone on my behalf.

After the engineer left, I phoned ITVD and spoke to someone rather more helpful. They admitted they didn't have a clue and actually passed me to technical. They said I almost certainly required an update but there was no update available.

I then tried Philips UK again. This time I spoke to a helpful person. He said that he had heard of the problem. I was about to say it was probably from me a few days earlier when he said that about 4 hours prior to my call someone else called in.

He had escalated their call so as to get a direct response confirming either way what the problem was and said he would do the same with my call.

He did however say that it almost certainly requires an overair update and will hopefully be available within 3-4 weeks although obviously couldn't guarentee it. Depends on the current situation with ITVD.

Should hear confirmation of the problem by this Tuesday.

4. makk

makk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Ludae. I decided in the end that it was just too annoying and have arranged for the set to be returned and my money refunded as I didn't have the time/inclination to keep getting engineers out etc.

As for your problem Black Beard, I too have seen the rogue letter P appear although mainly on channel 2 i seem to remember. I did notice that my set did an ota update last night so I don't know if this is a fix for this problem, I guess time will tell (for you at any rate!).

PS
    Anybody recommend a good 32inch set, preferably with integrated Digital? Sony??