1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips develops new Pixel Plus system designed specifically for high definition

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by brendank, Feb 19, 2005.

1. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dont hear much talk here about philips plasmas here is this because their bad?

maybe this new system will hit the spot and deal with SKY HD also :)

below is excerpt from their press release

"Philips has announced an update to its critically acclaimed Pixel Plus 2 processing system that's designed to enhance high definition signals in the same way that it enhances standard definition signals. In other words, even high definition will be given extra definition!

There are a number of key facets to 'Pixel Plus 2 HD'. First of all, thanks to an increase in processing power, Pixel Plus 2 HD now works on a full 720p HD signal, rather than first downscaling the HD image to 576p before adding detail and other enhancements, as was the case with Philips 2004 flat TV range.

Also hugely important in these digital times is the fact that Pixel Plus 2 HD can now work its processing magic directly onto a DIGITAL signal delivered through the HDMI inputs all Philips' Pixel Plus 2 HD screens will be equipped with. With the old Pixel Plus 2, even signals coming in through the DVI jacks had to be converted to analogue ones before Pixel Plus 2 could go to work. In fact, this new all-digital process actually cuts TWO digital/analogue and Analogue/digital conversion processes out of the loop, removing the potential for extra noise and distortions such conversions invariably carry.

Other key improvements are the addition of detection and reduction systems for MPEG blocking and image halo effects.

Screens carrying Pixel Plus 2 HD will start to appear from July"

HTML:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7556 

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to know.

I have a 42pf9966 with PP2. PQ is excellent. No component but still capable of internal progressive for RGB and other signals to get a more flickerfree and stable screen.

Would be nice if we could upgrade to this new version

Lem

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I avoid Philips like the plague, because every Philips product that I've ever bought has failed weeks after the warranty expired. The last product I bought from Philips was a CD burner for my PC. This product had a really bad design flaw, and purchasers in the US banded together and brought a class-action lawsuit against Philips and were awarded damages. Unfortunately, people in Europe didn't have this option, and Philips made no compensation available to them.

Philips ? Never again ! :thumbsdow

4. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    my housemate has the 37 inch phillips plasma tv (the basic one no component) and initially i was pretty dissapointed with it, it has quite bad solorisation. However i hooked up my pc DVD player to it last night & wow, the picture is so good, it is a crying shame there is no component in. it seems for the sake of a few quid they have really put a lot of people off this screen.

i think i am going to buy a shuttle & descaler & then it will be mint.

So i think there is definately potential for philips to come up with a cracking screen

5. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick, that's only one thought and experience, but doesn't mean that Philips is bad. Ofcourse flaws can be found in every brand.

And Mike, Component is not a requirement for good PQ. So does RGB.

Lem