1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips delivers new high-end LCD TV trio: 32/37/42 PF9830

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Aug 13, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Philips will once again raise the reference mark for Flat TV picture quality with the introduction of a trio of LCD sets that incorporate enhanced versions of the company’s award winning Pixel Plus and Ambilight technologies – Pixel Plus 2 HD and Ambilight 2."

This will blow all the current LCDs out the water I think!

"All three of these sets are due this month, with the 32PF9830 going for £2,299, the 37PF9830 going for £2,799, and the 42PF9830 yours for around £3,799."

Any thoughts?

2. monei

monei

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seeing is believing, so let's wait and see.

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Overly expensive considering the reduction in prices by other manufacturers.

4. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Looks like a bit of a rip off as most top names are nearer the £1500 mark..hey it doesn't even have an inbuilt freeview tuner even though the analogue switch off is nearing, my money is on the new sony 'V' Seriese with Wega engine.

http://www2.sony.co.uk/lcdtv/vseries.html only £1800!

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    What makes you say that?

The only differences between this and the 9986 appears to be a new amblight system, and HD Pixel Plus which solves the problems that the original pixel plus had when handling HD sources.

Without this much trumpted 'Clear LCD' technology this TV feels more like a 9986.5 then a completely new model.

Much like when Philips launched CRT's with Movie Plus in addition to Pixel Plus

6. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And some improvements in connectivity. There is now a separate HDMI and an extra YPbPr input additional to the combined DVI/VGA/YPbPr connector.
    Plus memory card interfaces.

I thought there would be integrated network connectivity as well, but I don't see it in the specs now (no ethernet, no wifi, and USB only specified for memory devices).
    Probably this has been delayed to next year's model...

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the encryption requirements for freeview in the UK?
    Does it require a viewing card? What system do they use?
    (Seca/Viaccess/Conax/Nagra/NDS)

All countries have different requirements w.r.t. encryption. An all-system receiver could be built in but adds to the cost. A CAM slot could be used but is not usable with NDS and adds expense for the customer (a separate CAM costs way more than a receiver with 1 system builtin).

Look at the Sharp line. They use a CAM. Do the digital Sharp models work in the UK? With or without a CAM?

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Freeview is basically not encrypted - there are a few add on pay channels that are encrypted, but these are in the minority. Encryption is normally handled by a CAM and viewing card although some freeboxes have the CAM functionality built in.

The Loewe D-TV option is a basic Digital TV card made for the German market. The Sharp models you mention may be based on this technology - my Loewe Xelos SL had its software upgrade this week. The D-TV/D-Sat option went through 2 major versions. When I asked about this, one was to handle a few UK freeview specific glitches (ABC1 channel not being tuned in and timeshare channels not being tuned unless they were transmitting) and the other major version was to handle changes for other manufacturers products - so I guess that means Sharp. The standard D-TV option worked fine in the UK for Freeview too. However as it is not specifically a Freeview tuner, it cannot handle interactive features (it does not have an MHEG decoder) such as text, games or news multiscreen and it does not sort channels per the Freeview channel numbering. But does handle the electronic programme guide and can be manually tuned into Freeview channels if required. CAM slots are also available and I believe that this does handle the optional TUTV channels.

-Ian

9. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys are tearing this TV apart. I am definately wanting to join the LCD movement but there is just SO much choice and I've been waiting and thought this set was "The ONE".

I am also struggling to pick between the 37 inch one and the 42 inch one cause the one thousand pound difference is really quite a lot for 5 inches. Do those 5 Inches justify 1,000?

10. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Sony LCDs were a joke... is this gonna be better than the 9830?

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    This will be a very good TV so if it is the one you want then go for it.

It is very debatable though if it is a going to much better than the 9986 for SD material and debatable whether it is going to be better than the current top of the range Panasonic, JVC, Hitachi or Sharp amongst others.

12. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch Sky and content from my PC mostly, the motorized base sound pretty cool, dunno if I wanna mount it, then I can't play with the Motorised Swivel.

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm not even sure about the usefulness of HD pixelplus 2.

Surely if you're feeding a 720p set 720p you need hardly any scaling. You'd probably be better off turning PP off. I thought PP was best for upscaling SD sources to HD?

14. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Not really, the only bad thing about the last crop of Sony LCDs was that they weren't HD ready, now that's about to change. Personally I don't think the Philips models offer anything more than the new crop of screens from Sony, Sharp, JVC and the rest.

15. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info!
    Here in the Netherlands, terrestrial DVB is all encrypted in Conax, sat DVB in Seca, and cable DVB in Irdeto.
    So a free-to-air receiver is completely useless. A CAM is always required for receivers without integrated access system.
    However, a receiver for terrestrial DVB with integrated decoder is sold for 50 euro. This is about half for what you pay for a separate Conax CAM to use in a Sharp TV, and even then it is an at-your-own-risk operation (the distributor and dealers keep silent about if it actually works).

Cable DVB is the same situation. Receiver is about 80 euro with integrated decoder. Nobody would pay 200-300 euro extra for a DVB-ready model and still have to buy a CAM for 100 euro more and have no guarantee it will even work (and keep working).

Small wonder that DVB-ready TVs are no issue here. Apparently it is different in the UK.
    (still it would be nice if the receiver could be controlled with the TV remote)

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Nope - absolutely not. Good digital TV stuff looks shockingly good.

17. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The New 37 and 42 inch models have a screen res of 1920 x 1080 according to the sources ive read, meaning you can play 1080i nativly. The 40 inch sony in the link earlier only had 1366 x 768.

18. marinecommando

marinecommando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  19. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Thats a fair point, but having seen several 1366 x 768 panels running HD, if your not satisfied with the quality this can produce then :eek:

It is a bit like choosing between a Ferrari with 420 BHP or a Ferrari with 470 BHP

Still if your earning a shed load of money a year then what the hell :D

20. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I agree with some that the much vaunted 9830 is going to be a bit of a 9986.5. However, despite not getting the scanning backlight yet, the 9830 is still going to be hard to beat. To say it has nothing to offer over assorted other manufacturers offerings is to ignore the presence of the Ambilight. This feature must not be ignored as anybody who already owns a 9986 will tell you that they most likely couldn't consider purchasing an LCD without it.

Add to this Philips pedigree with LCD's, superior panels to the 9986 and MUCH improved connectivity and I'd say its still right up there.

HOWEVER.....when Philips are eventually happy to release the Scanning Backlight feature in the 9830, as it should have been with the launch of the 9830 (minus points Philips!) then the rest can just hide in shame in the corner of the room.

Jimmy

21. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Didn't I read that Philips were selling the flickering technology to other manufacturers?:devil:

22. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    They may well do, but I suspect that Philips will keep the good stuff to themselves! Witness the cooperation between Philips and LG. Yet, strangely, the Philips is quite dramatically superior.

Jimmy