1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips dark rgb my workaround!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by joecool, Sep 30, 2003.

1. joecool

joecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a philips 32pw6006 tv(which i have had for over a year)which suffers form the dark rgb problem(see previous posts) which other people suffer. my sony dvd player and playstation 2 (as well as other items i have tried) when viewed through rgb are way too dark and unwatchable(had to use svideo). the only item that did work via rgb was my philips itv digital digibox which had a perfect picture. a month ago i bought a new digibox,i went for the philips dtr1500 in the hope that like my old philips digibox it would have a perfect picture via rgb and it does. Anyway to get to the point i found out a few days ago that the dtr1500 has rgb pass-thru. so i wondered if i was to connect the dvd player and ps2 through the digibox if they would still have the dark rgb problem(nothing ventured, nothing gained). well guess what they don't:D when connecting them thru the digibox the problem disappears. its definitley rgb output. what a weird problem. Somebody must have an answer to the dark rgb problem.:confused:

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    My mates got this on his 28" Philips telly.

Not sure of which model it is, around a year old now, silver jobbie (not that that helps).

Damn annoying, it shows up with his PS2, Game Cube and DVD. That said I think the Freeview box (Netgem I-Player) I took ove r a while back worked ok.

Wierd.

Any ideas anyone?

Mr Frost do you know a solution to this?

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi Retro, thanks for the PM. Domestic products isn’t really my area, but I have had a word with one of the engineers and he’s said this is a known issue.

The problem is the RGB output from the source isn’t at the correct level. More specifically, it is the DC offset voltage which is outside the RGB specification.

There are four possible solutions:
    - ask the games console/DVD player manufacturers to correct the output from their devices, but I think this would be the hardest to actually achieve.
    - use S-video where possible.
    – find a device with active buffering to correct the DC offset, like looping through the DTR1500
    - have the TV modified to take the RGB inputs out of tolerance so as to cope with the off-spec source. This involves a TV engineer changing four zener diodes on the RGB input board.

Changing the zener diodes is a skilled job for an engineer familiar with this model of TV. They'd also need a big magnifying glass and very steady hands - the diodes are tiny :eek:

The work wouldn't be covered under warranty. Your engineer would charge since you are taking the set out of specification, however the TV warranty shouldn't be affected.

Later versions of the 32PW6006 and other TVs based on the same chassis have this modification done at the factory.

Regards

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Bummer. :(

Ahh well, we can get s-video off the PS2 and any DVD's anyway so that's OK. Just a shame about the GC.

Cheers anyhoos Chris!:smashin:

5. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming Chris Frost works for Philips and got an answer quickly, it's amazing how officially Philips do not claim to have heard of this problem ever and have nothing to offer to their authorise drepair shops either! I "solved" the problem by using another (cheaper) DVD player ...