1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Cool Green wierd problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by _Ash_, Dec 2, 2004.

1. _Ash_

_Ash_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, for my first posts I thought I'd seek some advice ;)

I have acquired from a mate, a Philips Cool Green widescreen (model no. 32PW9523/25) which has a really wierd problem but now I have an idea what might be causing it. When we first brought it to my place it was put in the garage until I could make room and see if it worked but at last weekend I thought I'd give it a try where it was and hey presto it worked fine.

Now the symptoms are when you turn the TV on it will look OK for about 5-10 seconds then drop into standby with the power light flashing - fault has occurred. The only way to try again it to power it off. Anyway this didn't happen in the garage. On Tuesday evening I brought it into the house but needed to leave it for until the next night so it could warm up and get rid of any condensation. So lastnight I decided to give it a go in a warm house and sure enough the fault occurred straightaway.

So....it was then moved back to the garage to make room again and I gave it another quick test, fault still happens. Now the wierd bit, about an hour or so later I went back and tried it again as it had cooled down (damn cold in the garage) and to my surprise it worked fine.

Now would I be close in thinking that the TV could have some sort of thermal cut off which is set too low or could it be something else? Now I am getting an idea of what causes the problem I could do with a much info as possible in case I take it to a repair shop, some of which simply replace a part just because it sounds good to the customer. I'd like to get it repaired as the picture and everything else is fine but don't want to be fobbed off with something that it isn't.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Thanks

2. DubaiFish

DubaiFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same fault on my philips cool green tv i.e. tv switches itself off after about 5 minutes and flashing red led at bottom of screen. Not sure of it is condensation related, I live in Dubai and the room the tv is in is fairly stable temperature wise due to air conditioning. Would love to fix it if possible, been a great tv, no problems at all during 8 years ownership, any ideas anyone???

3. mechanic

mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I think the most likely fault is dry solder joints in the line timebase section of the chassis.Its probably just coincidence that moving the set back and forward brought the set on etc.The fact that the set will work sometimes and picture etc is ok also means there are no major problems with it and a repair is probably worthwhile.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  4. DubaiFish

DubaiFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mechanic for the quick response :smashin:, will probably attempt to get it repaired out here in Dubai if i can find a good repairer, which may not be easy in this part of the world.
    Don't suppose you can give me an idea where abouts in the TV the line timebase section of the chassis is? Have taken the back off the TV and it was very dirty/dusty inside, have gently cleaned where possible taking care not to damage anything and the tv now stays on for about 15 minutes before tripping, could it be dust/dirt related causing short circuit, anything I may be able to do to fix it?

Appreciate your help :thumbsup:

5. mechanic

mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I don`t think dust and dirt would be a factor in the problem.Line timebase area is easy found- follow the lead connecting the tube- usually a red thick lead .It connects to the line output transformer .Also please be very careful if you don`t have much experience of CRT`S and TV in general as there a very high volages still present even when switched off.This type of fault is not really D.I.Y unless you are competent with a soldering iron.

6. DubaiFish

DubaiFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, reasonably handy with soldering iron, will leave plenty time for electricity to dissipate before checking again. Appreciate your help :thumbsup: