Philips 'Contrast+' setting

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Daved, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Daved

Daved

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, first time poster - please be easy on me!

I have just taken delivery of a new Philips 32DW6559, and have spent the weekend attempting to get all my sources looking equally good through it. I have got to the point where I am happy with the settings, but when leaving the source (going from a scart input to the built-in freeview and then back again) the picture is overly bright. In the features menu, I set the 'Contrast+' setting to off, as I prefer it like this, and the menu will say it is still off, but it is actually on! I have to switch it from off to on to off again for it to go back to what I want, and I've tried storing the preference by going into the picture menu ans storing it, but again it only lasts as long as I stay on that input. Any ideas?

One more thing, people mention the service menu on the Philips televisions, accessed by pressing 062596 and then the i+ button. How do you do this? If I try it with the TV on, it cycles through channels 0,6,2 etc, and if I put the TV into standby, as soon as I press 0 it turns the TV back on and goes to channel 0 !
    If I was to get into the service menu, is it obvious how to get out again? :confused:

Many thanks,
    Dave

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daved,

I have often read on forums that sometimes the picture brightness varies according to the source connected to the television; i.e. Freeview, DVD etc. It is annoying to have to keep entering the features menu and altering this. I don't think entering a service menu and altering settings there would make any difference. Is it possible to alter the Freeview box setting or your DVD player and leave the television on your favourite personal settings? They probably don't have any brightness control though, like Sky. I have the Philips 36PW9618 and have played with the settings quite a bit. I like low contrast and brightness for a more natural picture and it makes the tube last longer too! I only have mine connected to Sky+ and a vhs. I am hoping to get a DVD recorder but cannot make up my mind which one!

At the top of the page on this forum, click on Search on the right of the blue banner. Type Philips Service Codes in the box. This will bring up different posts from our members. Look for Philips 32PW9534 Service Menu from hagbard and click on that. The posts connected with this thread give details of entering the Service Code and a website which gives lots of information. Your remote control may not have the software for entering the service code, this often happens.

If you do access the Service Code, please make a note of your current settings before making any alterations. It is risky if you don't know what you're doing.

I've no experience of inbuilt Freeview, it seems it overrides other preferences. You must be tearing your hair out trying to think of a way of overcoming this. Having Sky is about the only way I can think of as a solution and that's pretty expensive, particularly when you have spent out for an idtv. I hope someone here can help you. Good luck.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Daved,

I meant to say Welcome to the Forum!

4. Daved

Daved

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Cynthia, thanks for your reply.

I know what you mean about different sources having different brightnesses (is that a word ?) etc., but my problem doesn't seem to be quite down to that. Each of the inputs on my TV (each Av input, the terrestrial tuner, and the freeview tuner) can have different settings for contast, brightness and so on. I can get them all to the point where I am completely happy with how they look.
    However, this 'Contrast+' setting keeps kicking itself back in as soon as I switch source, leading to a horribly over-processed glowing picture. Turn it off again, and it will only stay off until I switch source. I've tried every way possible of storing it in the 'off' position, and even when I change and it switches itself back on, the menu actually says it is off, even though it is glaringly obvious that it is back on! At this point, flicking the setting to 'on' makes no difference as it is already on, and then flicking it off takes my picture back to how I want it (but only until my next source change :mad: )
    That's why I was wondering if there is anything in the service menu (if I can ever get into it!) to permamently disable this 'feature'.

Hopefully I've explained myself a little better this time!

Thanks.

5. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daved,

I did understand what you meant about the Contrast + setting. I wonder if it may be worth sending Philips an e-mail and asking if you can cancel this feature in some way.

Another thought that occurred to me is to have an automatic scart switcher. I honestly don't know how these work but I have assumed all the scart leads from your different sources are plugged into a unit and it switches automatically to which input you want. I suspect though that you would still encounter the same problem even though you would only have one scart lead going into your television; it may be that the Contrast would be switched off for everything. Probably unlikely. There are very clever, knowledgeable people on this forum, who may have more ideas about this.
    Also your terrestial and freeview tuners are probably both in the television.

I can certainly understand why you want to get into the Service Menu to disable this extremely annoying feature. I'm sure you won't be the only person with this problem. If I have anymore "brainwaves???!!!" I'll come back to you.

6. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daved

I read that to use the Service Code for Philips press buttons quickly and steadily -062596 then press i+ button and menu button. This is only what I've read here. The i+ button may appear as OSD or Status on some Philips units.

I have written again because of Zacabeb's post on 29.4.2002, and I worried in case you should damage your new television. I put it in quotes but I have abbreviated it somewhat.

"The Service Menu is a very dangerous place to enter on Philips sets. The menu is more comprehensible and straightforward than on many other brands. If you enter service menu code incorrectly you will reset the entire chassis to default - pre-programmed defaults of the chassis before factory adjustment. Another dangerous option is 'Initialize NVM', this does the same. Both mess up the TV so badly it will be a nightmare for a service engineer to recalibrate."

I would mention several people have entered it but maybe they had a lot of experience in AV products. I just had to mention this. I know last year when I bought my Philips in April, a few people were mentioning using the service menu around that time. I just hope Philips can help you. Their website is:

http://www.consumer.philips.com

I think contact details are on their home page.

7. Daved

Daved

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cynthia, I'll try an email.

8. sabey

sabey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Daved

Having just inherited a Philips TV I am having exactly the same problem with the contrast+ setting. It's infuriating! Did you ever manage to solve your problem?