1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips contrast ratio

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by ollynev, Jun 2, 2005.

1. ollynev

ollynev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im thinking of getting philips 42 9966c gets good reviews, has pixelplus 2 tec. dnm everything my crt telly has

my problem is the contrast ratio 1000.1 i thought that the tvs with low con ratio were supposed to be poor quality the fullspec is below but@£2K i thought this was a good buy until i saw the ratio

any advice please :lesson:

Aspect ratio : 16:9
    Brightness : 1000
    Contrast ratio : 1000:1
    Diagonal screen size (inch) : 42 inch
    Diagonal screen size (metric) : 107 cm
    Visible diagonal screen size : 107 cm
    Display screen type : HD plasma panel
    Picture enhancement : Active Control & Light sensor, Digital Crystal Clear, Digital Natural Motion, Jagged line suppression, Movie plus, Pixel Plus II™, Progressive scan, Widescreen plus, 3D combfilter
    Screen enhancements : Anti ageing circuit, Anti reflection coated screen
    Viewing Angle (Horizontal) : 160 degree
    Viewing angle (Vertical) : 160 degree
    Panel resolution : 1024 x 1024i

2. ollynev

ollynev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone one care to help me is this a poor set to choose cause of the contrast ratio

help please im about to buy and have 2.5k to spend :lease:

3. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast is very good. Had to put everything to 50%, because it was to much.

Other systems saying a contract of 5000:1 have less contrast then this one. Don't believe all the numbers you read.

Lem

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I wouldn't place much faith in contrast ratio figures quoted by the manufacturer as there is no standard (or agreed) method to arriving at a quoted figure. Get a demo of the set that you are interested in and let your eyes decide for you. If you then like it, go for it.

Whilst the Philips LCD screens gain much favour in the LCD section. The Philips plasma devotees are few and far between in the plasma section here. Most people here will steer you towards Panasonic or Pioneer.

I see from the quoted specs that the glass in the Philips is ALiS (try a forum search) and to be honest, I've never seen anyone complain about ALiS panels because of poor contrast ratio. People either seem to love them or hate them though.

S.