1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Consumer Care

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by CarlGoss, Jun 24, 2003.

1. CarlGoss

CarlGoss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another great answer from a customer care dept.

Having a two year old child and being concerned about sticky fingers or footballs causing dead pixels on a potential plasma purchase, I asked if I should have concerns about screen strength, and was the strength of Philips plasma glass comparable with CRT glass?

The response was
    'Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding (BLANK).
    Philips TV's are made to Philips specifications.'

And that was it. So now I know!
    Actually if anyone has any better answer to the question! I'd be grateful to hear it!

Carl

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many months ago there was a thread about a person who played indoor golf and smashed the glass on his plasma....

They're not as robust as CRT displays, hence all the special handling requirements. That's not to say they're poor, but rather different.

Child friendly has just become the lattest buzz phrase!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When taking out my new home contents insurance I asked them explicitly about the Plasma being covered in the event of one of the kids throwing something at it. It is

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    The front plate of a CRT isn't 'robust' out of a desire to protect it from children and golf balls. It is a physical necessity to keep the pressure of the atmosphere out. And it's why CRTs are so heavy. Plasmas have no such need so are likely to be less strong.

As for Philips customer care - IMO it has always been pretty well non-existent.

5. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just unpacked A Fujitsu P50XHA10ES at work. It was cracked from corner to corner (thats all 4 corners!!). Cos it was in our store for about 2 months before we examined it, the predicable arguments with suppliers, couriers and storemen has ensued. Needless to say that when I get my similar panel in the next couple of months I will be having a freekin good look at it before the delivery man escapes my drive.

Regards

Simon