1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips CDR 760 CD Writer - How do u finalise ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kingbeau, Mar 6, 2005.

1. kingbeau

kingbeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I recently sold my Philips CDR 760 on Ebay as I hadn't used it in the past 2 years and it was just gathering dust. The instructions weren't included in the sale as they'd been lost ages ago.

Now the buyer has contacted me saying they're unhappy with their purchase, as the CDs they have recorded won't play in other CD players. Now I'm pretty certain that this is because they aren't finalising the CD.

Can anyone refresh my memory as to the finalising procedure, so I can pass the information on to them? Or maybe some kind soul knows the whereabouts of a pdf of the instructions for this model?

Cheers!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I'm not sure about the Phillips CD recorder, but on my Pioneer you record the disc and then once the recording has finished press 'stop'. You then just press the 'Finalise' button and the recorder goes into a paused state. Pressing the pause button starts the finalise process that takes up to about 4 minutes and IIRC (not done any recording for a while) the remaining time to completion is displayed on the recorders display. Once completed just eject the disc and it should play in any CD player.

Hope this helps,
    Mark.

3. kingbeau

kingbeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark, that sounds about right.
    I've forwarded your reply to the buyer and hopefully this will put them on the right track.
    Cheers,
    Steve

4. kingbeau

kingbeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I passed that info on to the buyer, who replied saying simply that they've already tried that, and they're sending the CD Recorder back for a full refund (£103) .......

It's really annoying me because I know that the unit works 100% and any problems they're having is down to their incompetence in using it.

It was advertised as working but with no instructions and now they don't seem interested in finding out how to finalise CDs.

Oh well, when it arrives I'll just have to establish that it is capable of finalising a CD, refund them, then leave them negative or neutral feedback, and relist it for sale again. :(

Thanks for your help.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Steve, by the sound of it they just decided they don't want the CD recorder any more. I would tell them that you wont accept a return and if they do send it back you wont refund their money. I think you were up front about there being no instructions and are therefore not liable for them being unable to use it!
    The other thing is that not all older CD players are able to play recordable CD's. Tell them to try a CDRW as I had success with this method on an old player of mine that would not play a CDR.

Mark.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Press Finalize and then Rec within two seconds.

Also, it needs feeding with CDR audio discs not standard recordable CDs, they look similar and have similar logos, but the logo should read Compact Disc Digital Audio Recordable or if you get Re-Writable discs then it should read Compact Disc Digital Audio ReWritable

If they are using the discs that everyone uses for burning on a PC, THEY WILL NOT WORK.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=CDR760/00&scy=GB&slg=ENG&searchtxt=CDR 760

Download the owners manual on PDF from here, go to the left of the page and select documentation.

7. kingbeau

kingbeau

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks so much for your help guys.

I've just emailed the buyer all this extra info but I fear they've already put the recorder back in the post.

I have a sellers policy on Ebay that states "if you aren't completely satisfied with any purchase to return within 7 days for a full refund"... so I think they've been rushing to get it back to me within the 7 days (must remove that policy, lol).

It's their loss then, I'll just relist it for sale again, this time with a set of printed instructions from the link in the previous post (THANKS KARKUS30!!!)