Philips Black Bars, How to Demo?

bazzae123

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quikie, If I went to my local shop with a copy of AVIA. How easy is it to get the "black bars" to show on a Philips P+?

Ideally you want a light background. AVIA has some colour screens (Blue, Yellow etc) but you may just spot them on normal TV broadcasts. Look out for the feint line down the centre of the screen.

We've just had the tube replaced on our Philips 9527 P+ as it kept switching itself on and off. Whilst it's better, the black bars are still slightly visible on light backgrounds but only if you look for them.

Hello,

I had the black bar problem as well. Mine appeared on dark scenes. One at either side of screen about 1 inch wide and 1 inch in from side of screen.

I found that these could be made more prominent when there was a dark scene by turning up the brightness.

When the brightness was low you could not see the bars as the rest of the screen becomes as dark as the bars and then they belnd in.

Regards

Paul :lesson:

Originally posted by Jase
Ideally you want a light background. AVIA has some colour screens (Blue, Yellow etc) but you may just spot them on normal TV broadcasts. Look out for the feint line down the centre of the screen.

We've just had the tube replaced on our Philips 9527 P+ as it kept switching itself on and off. Whilst it's better, the black bars are still slightly visible on light backgrounds but only if you look for them.

Is there a black bar down the middle then?

I found that darkish blue screens were best - like the blank between channel changes on Sky. Increasing contrast and brightness also made the black bars more visible.

See my post on page 30 of this thread for a picture of my black bars...

Take a copy of Harry Potter and the philosophers stone, the mist scene bit with the owl on the street sign, turn the brightness up a bit and they should stand out like a sore thumb.

Originally posted by Wayne Moule
Is there a black bar down the middle then?

There's a feint line down the middle about 1cm wide. Oddly enough it's exactly where the line appears when you view the Pixel Plus demo (one side of the screen using P+, the other not). I assume it's to do with that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom