1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips, Beovision and Panasonic PD30 motion smoothing

Discussion in 'TVs' started by fuzzywuzzy, May 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday i was in Allders and saw two B&O Beovision 3 sets, one playing The Clone Wars, the other playing Toy Story 2. What got me was the picture, the movies were running so smoothly that they actually seemed nearly lifelike.

Anyone who is a dedicated computer gamer knows about frame rate; the higher the better, below 50 fps a game just looks ordinary, but above that the game actually runs smoother and looks more 'real'. The same effect is what we get when you use motion smoothing with video.

I have been reading a few threads which have mentioned that the B&O and Philips tvs have a motion algorithm that predicts fairly accurately the data needed for an extra frame, the result being pictures that have a 3d effect.

Does the Philips version of this work as good as the B&O version?

I actually want a black framed TV (don't like the current space age look) and i am trying to go for models that aren't as wide, hence me aiming for either the Toshiba PF2 or Panasonic PD30 models. However, if the philips models have this wonderful, pleasing to the eye effect, i may go for one of those instead.

Does the PD30 with its Acuity technology have this kind of feature too? Anyone care to describe it for a potential buyer? Any philips owners please describe the same for your tv's with the motion smoothing, what are your thoughts on it?

Now i cannot afford a B&O TV, FAR too expensive for me. But if i can get a nice tv which is still boxy, i may ditch the Tosh and Panasonic and go for the Philips instead. My budget is up to (and possibly exceeding by a little) £1000.

Any ideas on this?

2. fuzzywuzzy

fuzzywuzzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump, because i want it answered, obviously.