Question Philips BDL 42" with YAMAHA AV HDMI Display Problem (Photos)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by londonarnold, Jun 12, 2015.

1. londonarnold

londonarnold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

i'm trying to get a Philips 42" BDL Signage Monitor to display the output from a Yamaha AV Amplifier.

A Virgin TiVo Box and Samsung BD player are connected to the HDMI inputs of the Yamaha Amplifier, a picture is out put to the 42" Display via it's single HDMI input, as you can see in the photos (coming soon) the picture is a faded pink and yellow hue, not the full vibrancy the same monitor displays when connected to the TiVo or BD player by direct HDMI, the sound (From TiVo to Yamaha AV) seems to be OK.

The Yamaha AV works fine when connected by HDMI to another 32" LCD.

I'll upload the pictures from my phone now so the experts can see - I guess this is a fairly common issue and offer my thanks in advance for any way to a solution, also hoping this might help others with the same issue.

Thanks,

Ben
    London, NW5

2. londonarnold

londonarnold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, it's a bit of a makeshift setup until the HDMI issue gets resolved, the BDL signage display is connected to a computer via the DVI port, which has been primarily used as a Flight Simulator Cockpit - the HDMI on the BDL Display works fine with other appliances, the pink/yellow faded hue is only evident when connected by HDMI to the Yamaha RX-S600 Natural Sound Amplifier.

Thank You in Advance :)

Attached Files:

3. londonarnold

londonarnold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other solution of course is to wire up the BD Player and TiVo Box to the Yamaha RX-S00 by Component RGB, then the output by RGB to the 42" Display Monitor using Coaxial for the sound, this should work out fine, but am trying one last time for a full HD solution through the HDMI, otherwise we don't mind too much having to watch TV through lower definition than 1080 through the component or scart/phono even, whatever works.

I'd be interested for any ideas as to what's causing this picture, maybe all it woukd take to put things right is a simple adjustment in the Yamaha or Philips BDL settings?

4. londonarnold

londonarnold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried two different HDMI cables between the AV Amp and Monitor so far with the same result.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,573
    It's not uncommon to run into this type of problem when trying to use 'Pro' Display gear in a 'complex' signal path.

AVR - I'm guessing is from a 'system' rather than stand alone, do you have a link to a User Maual.

AVR - ensure it is set to Video Bypass/Pass-thru (no video scaling) with no audio going to the Diplay.

AVR - ensure its HDMI Output is locked to RGB rather than Auto, it could be Outputting digital Component (YCbCr) which the Display doesn't support.

TiVo - ensure it is set to RGB via HDMI,.

BD - ensure it is set to RGB via HDMI and lock it to 1080p 50/60, the Display won't support 24p.

Component Video - if it works you really aren't losing anything setting both Sources to 1080i 50/60 and using 3RCA to the AVR and then from the AVR to the Display.

HDMI Cable - is unlikely to be the problem unless you have a long HDMI cable or are purchasing really poor quality cable, any High Speed cable should be fine.

EDID - could be the issue and may require an EDID Manager between the AVR and Display if you insist on using HDMI.

HDMI Extender - even on a short cable run there may be enough of a voltage drop with the AVR in the signal path to cause the pink cast, inserting an Extender between the AVR and the Display will often resolve this issue.

Go direct - you could take the Source HDMI direct to the Display on two HDMI and then use Optical or Coaxial for each Source direct to the AVR.

Joe

6. londonarnold

londonarnold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You Joe, all helpful, I'll try out everything you suggest and post the results back, it's late Saturday night now, so I'll have a go tomorrow.

Much Obliged ;)