Philips Aurea 42PFL9900D Owners Thread

Jamie-UK

Established Member
Reaction score
I got my Philips Aurea 42PFL9900D yesterday (28th September). Suggested I create an Aurea Thread for Owners.

Official Site

http://www.aurea.philips.com/

Features

Full High Definition LCD display
A full HD resolution of 1920x1080p, the highest resolution of HD sources. It offers a brilliant flickerfree progressive scan picture with optimum brightness and superb colours.

Ambilight
For a more relaxed viewing experience and improved perceived picture quality.

Perfect Pixel HD
Offers perfect picture quality from any source.

100Hz Clear LCD
100Hz Clear LCD results in superior sharpness of motion reproduction, better black level,high contrast with a flicker-free, quiet image and a larger
viewing angle.

DVB-T integrated tuner
Next to normal analogue TV broadcast your TV receives digital terrestrial TV and radio broadcasts.

Electronic Programme Guide - EPG
The EPG shows the scheduled digital TV programmes on screen. The guide can remind you when programmes start, switch the TV on, etc.

HDMI connectors
3 HDMI connectors for highest quality high definition connectivity.

USB connection
Multimedia connection for instantly view or play your photos or music.

Connections

Back connectors

1 EXT1
Scart connector for DVD,VCR, digital receiver, game console, etc.
2 EXT2
Second scart connector.
3 EXT3
Component Video Y Pb Pr and Audio L/R connectors for DVD, digital receiver or game console, etc.
4 Common Interface
Slot for Conditional Access Modules (CAM) 5 Audio Out L/R Sound output cinch connectors for a Home Theatre System, etc.
6 Digital Audio In (if present)
Sound input cinch connector for use with any of the HDMI connectors with a HDMI to DVI adaptor.
7 Digital Audio Out
Sound output cinch connector for a Home Theatre System, etc.
8 HDMI 1 In
HDMI in connector for Blu-ray Disc player, HD digital receiver or HD game console, etc.
9 HDMI 2 In
Second HDMI in connector.
10 HDMI 3 In
Third HDMI in connector.
11 Antenna input

Side connectors

12 USB
USB connector.
13 Headphones
Stereo Mini Jack.
14 Audio L/R in
Audio L/R for camcorder, game console, etc.
15 Video
Video input cinch connector to be used together with Audio L/R connectors for camcorder, game console, etc.
16 S-Video
S-Video input connector to be used together with Audio L/R connectors for camcorder, game console, etc.

Full Specs

http://www.aurea.philips.com/languages/en/Aurea_leaflet.pdf

User Manual

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl9900d_10/42pfl9900d_10_dfu_eng.pdf

Attachments

• 4842-philipsthumb.jpg
    4842-philipsthumb.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 710
Jamie,

Seriously interested in the Aurea. Where did you get it / what price ?

Is the Ambilight Spectra as good as it looks ?

I assume that PQ is awesome on both sd & hd sources (even my PF9830 still holds up on both counts)

Regards, jonandjen

Jamie,

Seriously interested in the Aurea. Where did you get it / what price ?

Is the Ambilight Spectra as good as it looks ?

I assume that PQ is awesome on both sd & hd sources (even my PF9830 still holds up on both counts)

Regards, jonandjen

I paid full price for it, from Tec7 in Guildford. They are based within House of Fraser stores.

SD & HD both look great, although I hate going back to SD after watching some of the HD channels. The quality of HD you get through Sky HD varies greatly between their channels. Best seems to be BBCHD.

There are plenty of options for the ambilight, making it as subtle or as bold as you like. Or just leaving the TV off and using the ambilight as a changing mood light.

So overally do you think that it worth every £ that you paid?Can you write a mini review?

I paid full price for it, from Tec7 in Guildford. They are based within House of Fraser stores.

SD & HD both look great, although I hate going back to SD after watching some of the HD channels. The quality of HD you get through Sky HD varies greatly between their channels. Best seems to be BBCHD.

There are plenty of options for the ambilight, making it as subtle or as bold as you like. Or just leaving the TV off and using the ambilight as a changing mood light.

Congratulations! Glad to see you're happy with it. :thumbsup:

What is it like with a PC?

So overally do you think that it worth every £ that you paid?Can you write a mini review?

I'd prefer to wait a while before writing a review. I want to see what the Xbox looks like on it at 1080p, but as a feature in the room I would say it's worth the money. It's certainly a talking point.

Congratulations! Glad to see you're happy with it. :thumbsup:

What is it like with a PC?

It's stunning through a PC. I had my laptop output on HDMI and it's as sharp as a 42" monitor. :thumbsup:

I'd prefer to wait a while before writing a review. I want to see what the Xbox looks like on it at 1080p, but as a feature in the room I would say it's worth the money. It's certainly a talking point.

It's stunning through a PC. I had my laptop output on HDMI and it's as sharp as a 42" monitor. :thumbsup:

And the sound? - do the 26 speakers work well? :)

And the sound? - do the 26 speakers work well? :)

Seem to. Good bass, sounds full. Quite a nice setup system, where you're given the choice of two different sound samples, you select which one you prefer then it defines it again with a further two samples to choose from.

Same applies to setting up the picture too.

Seem to. Good bass, sounds full. Quite a nice setup system, where you're given the choice of two different sound samples, you select which one you prefer then it defines it again with a further two samples to choose from.

Same applies to setting up the picture too.

Hmm, sounds good (if you'll excuse pun! :)). Does it have surround sound effect?

Hmm, sounds good (if you'll excuse pun! :)). Does it have surround sound effect?

It does, but I've yet to hear anything that has really made use of that.
I'm probably going to go for a 5.1 surround setup, as you can't beat locational speakers.

Actually, just been watching Mr & Mrs Smith on Sky HD and heard some of the surround effects. Really good ! Actually sounded like it was coming from the side and behind me.

I'm even noticing more in the image too. Sometimes it feels almost 3D, the quality is so good.

Actually, just been watching Mr & Mrs Smith on Sky HD and heard some of the surround effects. Really good ! Actually sounded like it was coming from the side and behind me.

I'm even noticing more in the image too. Sometimes it feels almost 3D, the quality is so good.

Great :thumbsup:. Can you tell me does it do p in p? - pc and programme?

Health to enjoy Jamie! It'll be the 22nd Oct or shortly thereafter before my Aurea is installed.
Get some pictures posted when it is installed to your liking. :)

Hi don`t want to hurt your feelings, but saw today Aurea....and unfortunately :( with vertical banding....2 vertical about 5mm dark lines from top to bottom

Hi - I've got a (probably dumb) question as I've never owned an LCD before (the Aurea would be my first!)

Does the Aurea have any kind of "screensaver" ability to protect the screen from (the possibility of) burn in?

I have a very bad habit of leaving my TiVo on pause for extended periods of time (20+ minutes) which, while it hasn't damaged my Philips CRT, has tended to leave the phosphor somewhat over excited in places (it eventually calms down and returns to normal after another 30 minutes of moving images).

Do modern LCD TVs (particularly the Aurea) have the ability to detect a static image and after a set time (eg. 5 or 10 minutes) to automatically blank the screen, or show a non-static (screensaver-type) image?

Hi - I've got a (probably dumb) question as I've never owned an LCD before (the Aurea would be my first!)

Does the Aurea have any kind of "screensaver" ability to protect the screen from (the possibility of) burn in?

I have a very bad habit of leaving my TiVo on pause for extended periods of time (20+ minutes) which, while it hasn't damaged my Philips CRT, has tended to leave the phosphor somewhat over excited in places (it eventually calms down and returns to normal after another 30 minutes of moving images).

Do modern LCD TVs (particularly the Aurea) have the ability to detect a static image and after a set time (eg. 5 or 10 minutes) to automatically blank the screen, or show a non-static (screensaver-type) image?

Burn in shouldn't be an issue with a modern LCD and, in any case, I doubt that the Philips would have such a facility as a screensaver after so many minutes of displaying a static image.

jah

LCD does not suffer from burn. That's a plasma trait.

Hi don`t want to hurt your feelings, but saw today Aurea....and unfortunately :( with vertical banding....2 vertical about 5mm dark lines from top to bottom

Not hurting my feelings. :) I haven't seen anything like that on mine.

Whilst it doesn't have a screensaver built in, most LCDs are able to display an image on screen for a long time without burn in, much more so than Plasma or CRT televisions.

Hey Jamie,

I'm heavily considering an Aurea, but the stiff price point holds me back, so before I make any purchase, I need to convince myself that this TV is really worth it.

Anyway, I have a question. I've got a Playstation 3 and a laptop - both have HDMI outputs and can output both sound and video. I see the Aurea has a coaxial output. If I were to connect the PS3 or the laptop to the Aurea, would the Aurea be able to send the audio stream from the HDMI connector to the receiver through the coaxial output - as a bitstream, perhaps, preserving surround and the original audio?

If it does, it'd be great as it'd save me a good deal of time switching between them with cables going to the receiver etc.

Hope I was clear.

Thanks,
Fuwex

I know 7oaks concession in Harrods are doing these.

Will no doubt be rrp, but they are doing free 5 year warranty with all tv's of 26" & over.

Hey Jamie,

I'm heavily considering an Aurea, but the stiff price point holds me back, so before I make any purchase, I need to convince myself that this TV is really worth it.

Anyway, I have a question. I've got a Playstation 3 and a laptop - both have HDMI outputs and can output both sound and video. I see the Aurea has a coaxial output. If I were to connect the PS3 or the laptop to the Aurea, would the Aurea be able to send the audio stream from the HDMI connector to the receiver through the coaxial output - as a bitstream, perhaps, preserving surround and the original audio?

If it does, it'd be great as it'd save me a good deal of time switching between them with cables going to the receiver etc.

Hope I was clear.

Thanks,
Fuwex

I believe that this function will work when the audio is not HDCP protected - eg as an HDCP compliant device the TV is not allowed to output a full-definition (video or audio) signal via an unprotected output :(

Edit:

From Philips support site -

Question
I have no digital audio out on the S/PDIF when using the HDMI connection.

Answer

If your media device is connected with an HDMI cable to your TV, you might not have digital sound on the S/PDIF connector.

This cinch connector is usually labeled 'Digital Audio out'.

This is the case when your media source (DVD, Blu-ray, ...) is protected with HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection), and is due to legal requirements.

You will however still be able to enjoy digital sound and video with your TV via the use of an HDMI-cable.

In certain cases, the signal on the S/PDIF connector will transform your digital signal to a lower specified format automatically.

The sound quality of analog outputs is not restricted in any way.

Hey Jamie,

Hope I was clear.

Thanks,
Fuwex

That sounds to me like you should be thinking about an amp/receiver upgrade to an HDMI repeating one. Connect all HDMI devices to it and one HDMI to the screen. That's the route i'm heading down. :)

That sounds to me like you should be thinking about an amp/receiver upgrade to an HDMI repeating one. Connect all HDMI devices to it and one HDMI to the screen. That's the route i'm heading down. :)

That's also the way I'm going to do my setup too.. Through an Onkyo TX SR705.

Hi guys,
have my Aurea booked in to arrive on Wednesday, just wondering if anyone has a definite yes or no on whether you can play DivX content from the USB?

Hi guys,
have my Aurea booked in to arrive on Wednesday, just wondering if anyone has a definite yes or no on whether you can play DivX content from the USB?

I have yet to find out the format and extension needed to watch any movies from the USB stick. Would be great to find out. I have sent a request to Philips to see if they could provide the answer.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom