1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Astaire - broke again, 4th repair in as many months!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rogeralpine, Jan 19, 2005.

1. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wanted some advice from users/ppl on here about my son's projector that has gone belly up again for the 4th time. Although it's still covered by the 2 yr warranty (it's less than 6 months old) the time it's spending away for repair has now exceeded the time we've had it over the last couple of months. Obviously we're not too happy and I can't help but think there's some inherent problem that just keeps re-occurring.

One of the repairs was the couriers fault - so essentially it's up for a third repair for "similar" problems. The first repair I believe replaced the PSU - lots of crackling then nothing. Subsequent reapirs have dealt with the machine basically failing to switch on - the unit just goes dead and will not power up. I don't know the precise details of the repairs, but as far as I'm concerned they're all of a similar nature. The machine was an ex-demo unit that had less than 80 hrs on the clock and was manufactured early last year. I know from details I noticed on the box that it has also had a trip to teleplan before my son bought it, so as far as I'm concerned this is at least the 5th time this unit has required repair.

We've obviously now lost all faith in Teleplan's ability to complete a successful repair and in any case, to be without the projector for 2 to 3 weeks at a time only to have it returned for it to last several days at most, is taxing on one's patience to say the least.

I'd like to know if anyone has any advice as to where I can take this issue and what is the likelihood of Philips offering a longer term solution that we will be happy with?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I hate to play the barrack-room lawyer :), but it seems to me that you should be able to demand a replacement (or even a refund). While the warranty will have some clause to the effect that they can replace or repair at their discretion I'm pretty sure there's some consumer legislation which says that in the case of repeated failures to repair then they have to do something else.

I'd perhaps try the C.A.B. for some clarification, legally I guess the small claims court is the place where a remedy may be found if you have a legal case and Philips/Teleplan won't play ball.

3. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...yeah, I think a call to the CAB will be useful.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,343
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

Contains some useful advice - I would think that you could argue the goods were not of satisfactory quality based on the number of repairs. First port of call is with the retailer not the manufacturer as they are the ones you hold a contract with.

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There is something explicit somewhere about number of repairs in a certain time I'm almost sure, and Philips are worth a try also as most companies say replacement/credit on the third repair.