1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips and Samsung LCD TV questions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mellow, Sep 29, 2003.

1. mellow

mellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been checking out these manufacturers offerings for 23" LCD TV.

Does anyone know what's happening about the Philips 23PF9945? Comet used to list this, but now it's been removed from their website - lots of web retailers don't seem to be getting any stock - yet Curry's have dropped the price in-store to less than £1200 - looking like they're dumping stock.

Is there a problem with this model that they're not telling us?

Question on Samsung (LW22A13) much more practical - the one I saw seems to have a pivot built into the base so you can turn it left-right. Rotation was limited to about 20 deg. - can you remove the stops to allow greater rotation?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    On my LW22A13, the base is fixed. However, the 'foot' is an oval, much smaller than the entire base. As far as I can tell, you can position it anywhere you want to, so long as the 'foot' is supported.....???

PS: Driven with an RGB signal from a Freeview box, it produces a virtually flawless picture.

3. mellow

mellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Nigel, I thought you'd check yours! (I read your earlier posts).

The one I saw had a small central foot (with pivot) under the main base, with four little rollers each side to help support the TV. I couldn't see if you could modify the pivot because of the security cables etc.

Reason for interest in the pivot is that the TV watcher has two seating positions virtually at 90 deg. - so it would be nice to be able to turn the TV to face either seat.

BTW - how long's the lead from the mains transformer (some size!) to the TV? - it'd be nice to hide that box out of sight!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I guess you can turn it, by simply turning it! I don't believe the two rollers are essential for stability.

I can't readily measure it, but IIRC the transformer lead is well over a metre long (but probably not as much as 2 metres); mine is certainly sited at least a metre away from the TV. It is quite a thick cable.