Question Philips Ambilight TVs, just where to buy?!

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by LaurasOtherHalf, Dec 26, 2016.

1. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I suspect it might just be a simple issue of very little suppliers in the UK, but I wondered if anyone knew of any local suppliers who stock Philips TVs?

I'm aware that out of the box they might not be everyones first choice, but we find Ambilight incredibly nice to use and I want our next TV to have it (yes I know you can buy snide ones to add in yourself).

So far, there only seems to be ao and argos that carry much stock and the best one I can find is this one;

Philips TV 55PUS7181 55" Smart Ambilight 4K Ultra HD with HDR TV - Silver

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
  3. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    We have a 3D Projector so a 55" would be fine for us (we currently just have a 42" and don't feel hard done by).

I suspect that their OLED 55" 901 model will be a similar price whenever it's released so if I was going to spend that much I'd wait I think.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    It seems to be primarily Argos, AO and a company called Costco (who seem to be big in the US). The Ambilux model with projectors instead of LEDs (8901) is exclusive to Harrods I believe. I'm not sure what happened with UK availability of the 8601 that sits between the 7601 and the 8901.

Currys PC World occasionally have a few too.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    The 7601 is actually a better model than the 8601 as its FALD. But for 55" look at the PUS6501/6531/6581 gets a great review on here.

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    At 55" the alternative models in the UK are the 6551 and 6561. The former is a stand variation, the latter three-sided ambilight instead of two. 49" is the same, 65" gets just the 6521 which is similar to the 6561 in smaller sizes.

7. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    OK now I'm even more confused! I want 3 sided Ambilight at a minimum but as it's wall mounted 4 sided would be preferable. I like the one I linked in the OP as it has the built in sound bar, we use our 7.1 system for movies/events only so the sound bar would be nice just to get decent sound when watching regular telly.

I've yet to see any Ambilux TVs yet for sale in the UK-Harrods don't have them on their website?

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,509
    I think it's only the 8000 series that is four sided, the 7000 and 9000 are three sided.

The 7181 is the 7101 with that sound bar.

It may be an in store exclusive, you'd have to drop them a line and ask. It's just information I've come across in my reading, I'm not looking at that model myself.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    The detachable sound bar is about the only thing going for the 71 series. Otherwise it's a lot of money for an IPS TV. Its distinctly average for the money. In fact I'm pretty sure a budget separate sound bar will be better quality.

I know you want ambilight but as a value comparison, you could for example get the far superior Panasonic DX-800 with a sound bar. Or even better, just buy a separate sound bar.

I know you want ambilight but unless you're going for the 65" 7601 or the 65xx generally they aren't great value.

I would get the 6561 with the 3 sided ambilight. pus prefixes have FTA and sat tuners whilst put prefixes have just FTA tuners. Then spend the rest on a good sound bar later if you need one.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  10. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Fantastic advice here chaps, it's much appreciated. We already have a Sony Soundbar to match the Sony TV that is currently being used, however there are two points to this
    1 We will swap the whole set up to the kitchen once the new TV is bought
    2 The Sony sounder is actually crap with drop out problems for the sub continually happening.

So I (perhaps naively) figured a wall mounted TV with a decent sound system already built in might just be the ticket.

While our 42' Sony looks a little small for the position (above the fireplace-don't shoot me it works for us!) but I do fear anything bigger than a 55" will just look a monstrosity-personally a 65" is a no go for me...

[​IMG]

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    For UHD bigger is always better since you need to sit a lot closer vs how big the TV is to notice an increase in resolution. So whilst it may seem big if it fits, you should definitely think about it. Take a look:
    [​IMG]
    As for integrated sound, if once you buy a TV you find you need better sound then you can fit a sound bar to your existing setup with a TV mount with a sound bar section included or add an adaptor to your existing mount if you use it. Given the TV is so high up you would benefit from a mount that tilts down too for better sound and picture.

12. LaurasOtherHalf

LaurasOtherHalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hmmm, I've seen that graph (or something like it) before and I don't buy it, according to that at the 4m distance we view our 42" at I shouldn't even want 1080p! 4K isn't really of utmost importance at present but it would be nice to at least be future proof.

It's an aesthetic choice however, I don't want my living room dominated by a 65" sheet of black glass especially above the fireplace.

We do however have a 110" projector screen that comes out of the pelmet above the chimney breast so 4K for our next projector would be nice! The TV is mostly just used for basic TV viewing, any event TV we watch is shown on the projector.

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,230
    Maybe look at least years Philips FHD models with ambilight Philips' 2015 TV line-up - full overview - FlatpanelsHD

More info on viewing distance TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Future proofing for something you won't notice is kinda pointless. Likely you won't notice much of a quality increase at all, that's without considering SD material will actually look worse on an UHD TV.

In fact future proofing whatsoever is next to pointless in the TV industry, there's always something round the corner.

You could also get something like a LG FHD 910v OLED and add some of your own bias lighting.

14. Phoenix1985

Phoenix1985
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is there already informatio when the 2017 models will show up?
    Is the Philips 55PUS7181 soundbar really detachable? As we have a Sonos Soundbar.