Philips Ambilight TV, any way to make the Ambilight lights go off on black screen during scenes?

Damoxz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says is there any way to make the Ambilights go off when the screen goes black during scenes?

See I have some hue bulbs and led strips in entrainment area and I use the hue stream app and when the TV screen goes black during a scene the bulbs and strips go off but the TV Ambilights stay on.

Is there any setting on the TV itself using service menus or is there an app? My TV is the 43pus7403

Thanks for the help.

Use the game setting in ambilight. It's much more accurate and the bulbs go dark.

Interestingly it varies by model. The 935 Ambilight goes dark on the default settings

I think the natural setting is a tiny bit more darker than game but it's still noticeable during black screen.

On my TV, the Sports and Games modes do what your asking for. The Game mode is a bit too intense for me, so I end up just using Sport... even if I have literally never watched sports on this thing.

I guess it must be different for every model though, because while Natural on mine easily has the most accurate colours, it just always has a bit of glow going on.

I guess ignore the names and try to find a black screen so you can just go through each mode.

Last edited:
sorry to revive an old topic, but is it just me or after the TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.022 firmware update, on 55" 936 the ambient lights on black screens are even whiter and brighter ?

Got this firmware in my 856.

As stated in posts above, Changing ambilight mode to Game or Natural achieve what you want.

Got this firmware in my 856.

As stated in posts above, Changing ambilight mode to Game or Natural achieve what you want.
I tried all the options : standard, natural, vivid, game and none of them works on 936. all the mods have the backlight white on black screens. tried also changing the brightness on ambilight, but this impacts all the colors.

As far as I know, it can’t be done. There was a post in another thread that Philips updated the firmware to leave lights on rather than go black recently after many user requests and it wasn’t a setting that can be changed.

As far as I know, it can’t be done. There was a post in another thread that Philips updated the firmware to leave lights on rather than go black recently after many user requests and it wasn’t a setting that can be changed.
isn't there a request that we can make somewhere, so that they give us the option to choose to have the lights on or not ?
can a request be raised, or a vote or something ?

isn't there a request that we can make somewhere, so that they give us the option to choose to have the lights on or not ?
can a request be raised, or a vote or something ?
Check this post out…

They’ve said ‘explicity there will be no more changes to this functionality’.

I would log a support ticket with them personally and tell them of the behaviour not matching their other Ambilight products!

where can this support ticket be logged ? can you share with me the mail address or link ?

Last edited:
I'm owning the Philips 936 and I don't like the "new" ambilight natural mode. I think I have this new ambilight mode since yesterday because I upgraded to the newest firmware. I reverted one firmware version back with the One Button Recovery mechanism, but the problem with the natural ambilight mode is still there.

if this new ambilight natural mode was already present with my purchase, I would have returned it. One of the main selling points for me is ambilight, but now I don't like to use it anymore.
20211220_232508.jpg

I'm owning the Philips 936 and I don't like the "new" ambilight natural mode. I think I have this new ambilight mode since yesterday because I upgraded to the newest firmware. I reverted one firmware version back with the One Button Recovery mechanism, but the problem with the natural ambilight mode is still there.

if this new ambilight natural mode was already present with my purchase, I would have returned it. One of the main selling points for me is ambilight, but now I don't like to use it anymore.View attachment 1622885
check out the side by side comparison I did between .012 and .022 : TPM211EA_001.001.233.022 FW breaks Ambilight on OLED936

I had the same problem with the new ambilight behavior (staying on during black scenes) so I took back the TV and got a new one, .012 FW

check out the side by side comparison I did between .012 and .022 : TPM211EA_001.001.233.022 FW breaks Ambilight on OLED936

I had the same problem with the new ambilight behavior (staying on during black scenes) so I took back the TV and got a new one, .012 FW
I can't return my TV anymore because my purchase is more than 30 days ago. Hopefully they will fix it with a future update..

I don't understand why they changed this on purpose. Now the natural ambilight setting is almost the same as standard.

@Philips TV PQ Hello Philips, any chance for users to get to choose if they want the ambilight to stay on during black scenes ? What can be done to get this option in one future firmware ?
I have already returned one OLED+936 which got updated to FW .022 and got this new "feature" to have ambilight on during black scenes (check the comparison between .012 and .022 HERE)

I can't return my TV anymore because my purchase is more than 30 days ago. Hopefully they will fix it with a future update..

I don't understand why they changed this on purpose. Now the natural ambilight setting is almost the same as standard.
I've had the same problem since updating from .012 to .026.
The Ambilight is now permanently on and is brighter than my actual room lighting ...
In "follow audio" mode it still works like .012, but the mode for watching movies is uncomfortable.

Ambilight was the reason for buying a philips TV for me, if that's not a bug, but a feature, I regret the purchase and would have preferred to get a Sony TV ... currently it is not usable for me

I've had the same problem since updating from .012 to .026.
The Ambilight is now permanently on and is brighter than my actual room lighting ...
In "follow audio" mode it still works like .012, but the mode for watching movies is uncomfortable.

Ambilight was the reason for buying a philips TV for me, if that's not a bug, but a feature, I regret the purchase and would have preferred to get a Sony TV ... currently it is not usable for me
Yes the same goes for me, ambilight was for me the reason to buy Philips. I've contacted Philips and they told me it was a feature because other users preferred white ambilight on darker scenes. Don't understand why they replaced the old ambilight behaviour, instead of giving the option to turn on/off ambilight in dark scenes.

What they also told me is; if they had enough customers complaining about the new ambilight mode they will do something about it, otherwise it stays like this. So take contact with Philips i would say.

For me never again a Philips if it stays like this.

Yes the same goes for me, ambilight was for me the reason to buy Philips. I've contacted Philips and they told me it was a feature because other users preferred white ambilight on darker scenes. Don't understand why they replaced the old ambilight behaviour, instead of giving the option to turn on/off ambilight in dark scenes.
For me never again a Philips if it stays like this.
Ditto. I would like just to echo this (just dropped a post in the other thread) as Ambilight was the reason to select Philips OLED TV.

Why would not they just let customers simply adjust intensity of light which permanently stays on?? It is so simple and would make all users happy with Ambilight (which is key feature of Philips).

What they also told me is; if they had enough customers complaining about the new ambilight mode they will do something about it, otherwise it stays like this. So take contact with Philips i would say.
What is the best way to address this to Philips? I would like complain about this crap. (And BTW do they read this forum?)

Created a forum post about the new ambilight behaviour on the Philips forum.
Philips Forum - 936 different ambilight behaviour. (pending)

Please comment on the forum post if you agree, hopefully they will fix it then in a future firmware update.
I cannot open the link, the following error message appears: You don't have permission to do this.

I couldn't find the post via the general forum either - are there any country-specific forums here? (my location in the Philips Forum is Germany)

I cannot either open the link. Maybe is country related, I’m from Romania.
I have a ticket opened with Philips romania and they said that they released a new FW (newer than .026) that will fix the ambilight.
I have returned the old TV (that had updated to .022) and now running on a new TV .012.

Can someone confirm that a new fw has been released and what is the ambilight status with the new fw ?

Thanks

Philips has to accept it first before others can see it, so we'll have to wait. Hopefully the firmware update newer than .026 fixes the Ambilight problem.

Philips has to accept it first before others can see it, so we'll have to wait. Hopefully the firmware update newer than .026 fixes the Ambilight problem.
Philips engineer replied that "it will be taken up with one of our next Releases."

I just dropped my message in the thread on Philips forum as well (pending review right now) and upvoted the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom