Philips Ambilight TV, any way to make the Ambilight lights go off on black screen during scenes?

Gaslight

There was a promotional post from Philips on my Facebook yesterday, regarding their OLEDs, and boy did they take a hammering from customers regarding this ambilight issue - amongst others such as tvs freezing and rebooting, clunky speed of the OS, epg menu issues..seems the whole 'best OLED' title is more form reviewers who havent lived with these units for periods of time.

Last edited:
HI All - just received this from Philips

Thank you for contacting Philips.

We understand that your 77OLED806/12 TV is experiencing an issue with the Ambilight and realise the frustration this may cause. We would like to confirm that we are changing the Ambilight feature and reverting back to how it was before the update, which will be implemented in the next official software update.

Spadess

Standard Member
E55D0935-7820-47F0-8B89-2A80257C0EAD.jpeg

Nope, I keep getting emails from them saying please provide feedback or we will close the case, Its getting annoying having to email them to keep open until proven fixed after firmware update. I this goes on any longer I'm gonna swap tv with a LG.

Claudio67

Standard Member
I just tested the new firmware upgrade on my 936 and found out that Ambilight is back to normal behavior (no white light on black screen) with the "natural" mode while the "standard" mode does not seem to have changed. So it looks like you can choose between the white light on or off on black screen switching between "standard" and "natural" modes. Have not yet noticed other changes with this upgrade.

iMohMoh36

Just rang up today and was told they had closed my case so logged a new one.
My issue is with Ambilight + Hue extension.
My Hue Play lights show a dim white light when Ambilight TV lights will be off during black scenes. I use the Game preset for the lights anyway.

I tested with the other modes and the light will just get brighter when using natural etc.

Works fine if I connect via the Hue Snyc PC windows app though since I can turn off background lighting.

Realistically, Philips can solve ALL of the hue issues (the ones I'm facing with my extra lights and the ones people are facing above with the other modes) if they just introduced the option to turn off background light which maintains that crap white light that probably a small handful of people want.

Why they won't do it I will never know. But if I hear that excuse again saying "It's within spec" I will lose it.

iMohMoh36

Update, they closed my ticket today and advised that this will be fixed in the next update as they are reverting Ambilight back to it's original behaviours and this will fix also the issue with Play and other hue lights as well as the issues above. So let's hold on till the next update (since this latest one as of March 2022 didn't fix anything)

erentil

Update, they closed my ticket today and advised that this will be fixed in the next update as they are reverting Ambilight back to it's original behaviours and this will fix also the issue with Play and other hue lights as well as the issues above. So let's hold on till the next update (since this latest one as of March 2022 didn't fix anything)
The latest firmware (TPM211EA: 1.2.114.203) states this:
-Fix for AL segments don’t dim down entirely anymore with black picture content in AL style “game”
So something has been corrected.
However I don't believe that they will make the issue with the Phillips hue lights, that do not go out in the black scenes.
I have only a small hope because Danny Tack mentioned that in 807 the ambilight will have an innovation whenever the 806 and 807 share the same firmware to solve the problem with the 4k 120hz vrr, maybe in this firmware there is also the correction of ambilight + hue.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom