1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Ambilight - fun

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richjthorpe, Feb 9, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know that the Philips 9986 is a cracking tv and that the Ambilight is something to behold, but in the pictures I've seen of it, it looks like someone has either left the back off the tv or it has excessive backlight bleed around the sides !

Wonder if that's how they thought of the idea from previous prototypes.......

Technical team to Management:
    "Here is the new LCD we've been working on. The internals are finished but the case is still to be completed as there are too many wholes in the back"

Management to Technical Team:
    "Hmmmmm, lets have a look. Turn the lights down"

Lights go down

"Wow, really good picture, that Pixel Plus 2 really works on crappy the Freeview signal ! And the light coming from the back of the tv is helping the Ambient light of the room and isn't straining my eyes. Actually, wait a minute. Let's have it as a feature and call it......RoomGlo"

Technical team to Management:
    "Ummmm, how about Ambilight ?"

Management to Technical Team:
    "Even better, glad I thought of it !"

:rotfl: :clap: :laugh: :hiya:

Richie.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I really don't care how they thought of it - it's utterly marvelous!

Just to be picky, Richie, the colour only shines out the front. Backlight bleed would be WHITE!

Jimmy

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I knew I'd get a response from you ! :rotfl:

4. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does work well (and has plenty of user options) - and solves the problem of what ambient light to use in the room!

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Richie,

I'm not sure if your origional post is meant to be funny, or is a disguised criticism.

The important thing is that at the moment only the Philips has it. To me this is a tremendous bonus as this is the TV I would have gone for even if the Ambilight wasn't included.

I wonder how long it'll be before the other manufacturers introduce their versions? Your 'RoomGlo' may appear on the back of the next Sharps! Have you patented the name?

Jimmy

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It was added by Philips to help improve the black levels the of LG/Philips panel. Displays based upon the Sharp ASV-Black panels do not need a helping hand :beer:

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ian,

Up until about 2 minutes ago I tended to always agree with you, with your insight and intelligent input.

But I have to say, to your last post.......um. You're kidding. Right?

To attempt to dis the Philips PQ compared to the Sharps is just stupid.

Jimmy

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Sharps ASV-black panel achieves its black levels by virtue of the panel design using an anti reflective black coating. The Sharp also has a less bad color temperature ~8300K than the LG/Philips panel~ 9300K (ideal is 6500K) which makes the Sharp panel inherently more natural - less cold. So displays based upon the ASV-black panel do not have to do so much work in getting a decent PQ resulting in a less processed looking picture. I believe that the higher than required colour temperature inherent in LCD displays are one of the major contributers in LCD's having a certain 'look' which may not be to everyones taste. To over come the blue look with the higher temperature screens, red needs to be pushed which will lead to other colour errors and further processing to correct.

IMO, the Philips needs its gizmo's to achieve a good PQ more than panels based upon the Sharp ASV-black panel technology. One of the reasony why the Philips display can sometimes look over processed. Less is more as one would say, which is backed up by many of you turning off some of the processing features of the display.

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have to admit that I get rather bored by all this worshipping at the Phillips temple. The PQ is good on the Phillips but it not streets ahead of everything else, the Sharps are equally as good and which you prefer is down to the individual at the end of the day. Other factors like build quality, connectivity, apperance come into play. Let's try to be a bit more honest about the issues and answer peeps questions more factually and less of the xxxxxx brand is the best and only one around. ALL of our personal choices of screen have been a subjective decision after looking at the ones on the market. :smashin:

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jimmy,

Take the first post as fun. I know that the people who have Ambilight are absolutley delighted with it and it works well. It's just that from the pitcures I've seen, my first reaction was that it looked like someone had left the back off the tv.

Not having a go at the tv, that's why I put in the first line saying that the Philips is a cracking tv.

RoomGlo with be hitting the shops in around 6 months time......

Richie.

11. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Unless you live next to Sellafield in which case you would have had it 50 years ago.

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Absolutely. Definitely.

People must make up their own minds. This forum must only be a guide. It will be obvious to anybody reading these threads that Philips and Sharp have pretty much got the market in top end LCD's wrapped up. There others lurking but not quite there yet.

Both are very different and will appeal to different people for different reasons. However, you can see from a lot of the posts from prospective buyers that they too have got to that situation where they have to make the 'final decision'.

This is where our passion for the TV we chose can make a difference. I did the head to head with the Sharp and the Philips and fiddled endlessly with both. I noted what I saw, not only with PQ, but with looks and ancillary features. I made my decision and feel that this decision was made in such a way, after rediculously thorough research, that I feel justified in getting argumentative over the features that helped me make this decision. Goodness knows, I argued with myself for weeks and weeks before even getting down to the final two!

Getting back to Ianh64 comments on the Ambilight. It is true it increases percieved Picture Quality and Contrast........Brilliant! Doesn't mean that the black levels are any worse than the Sharps, it just means it looks even better!

I'll defend the Ambilight vigorously as I feel it is one of very few genuinely brilliant innovations in the last few years, which adds an amazing, completely new dimension to TV viewing.

Jimmy

13. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yawn

14. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nice one Rudy...well done. I take it from this that you are at work with nothing better to do but read forums on subjects you have no interest in. Very odd.

Jimmy

15. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ignore him Jimmy, at least we have a view on things!

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah Jimg, I think it's great that we have such a lively Forum, with folks disagreeing about this and that. I sometimes input on the All-in-One Forum, but my goodness.....is it dull! It's all Denon, Denon, Denon...which is fine, as I have a Denon! No conflicts, or arguments...dull.

So, where were we? oh yes.......

Jimmy

17. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    At first I thought that Ambilight might be a clever way of disguising a lack of blacks, but if you think about it, when you have a very dark picture overall - when you might want all the help going to achieve best picture quality and black blacks - Ambilight is pretty much off anyway.

18. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    You must be mad :eek: it doesn't matter if your down the pub. in the high street or sitting at your pc... you can never beat a really polite but ultimately aggressive Slanging Match :D :D :D :lesson:

ENJOY!