1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9986 DVD lines

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Jayz, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Jayz

Jayz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of a 32 PF9986 and am delighted with it in every way save for one frustrating thing which may or may not be TV related.

Until I can afford a separate surround system, I am using the TV's speakers and have hooked up the system as follows: Scart from EXT1 to Sky+ box. Scart from EXT2 to DVD player/recorder (Panasonic E55) and a third Scart from Ext3 (non RGB) to Video.

The picture is great except when I play a DVD when I get 1 or 2 horizontal lines (each about 2mm thick) across the screen. It only seems to be with DVDs as the picture I get from SKY doesn't have them. I did invest in 2 x Thor Scart leads (one each for EXT1 and EXT2 which are both RGB) which I have been told are of good quality.

Does it sound as though it is a matter of settings on the TV or more likely that the problem is DVD recorder based? Any help would be gratefully received as I would like to resolve the issue before the new baby arrives on Friday (eek).

:lease:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A new baby and a 9986 all in one week! Your a glutton for punishment......

Anyway, where are the horizontal lines? Are they at the top, middle or bottom? Your connections seem fine, but are missing using the E55's Progressive output which means it can be connected to the 9986 via its component adapter. This will allow you to watch DVD's at 576p and extract the very best from the 9986. You'll need a component lead.

Get back to us...

Jimmy

3. Jayz

Jayz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jimsan - I'll buy the right leads tomorrow.

The lines don't seem to be consistently in the same place but are very noticeable white lines of no more than 2mm - they are usually right in the middle of the screen, a single white line running from one side of the screen to the other.

I am just a little nervous given that it only arrived yesterday; I want to be sure that I haven't bought a lemon. The firmware is version 2.2 by the way. Given that the SKY+ picture is about as good as I have seen, I'm hoping that the problem doesn't lie with the TV.

Even if I was to substitute the Scart for the more appropriate leads, you wouldn't ordinarily expect that problem with scart, would you?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't like the sound of this. Does it do this with all DVD's? If so, then the Panny could be suspect....Carry on and get the component lead and check that out first...

Jimmy

5. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jayz, have you tried swapping the DVD Scart lead to another input on the TV to see if the problem follows? This would rule out a faulty input on the TV.

6. Jayz

Jayz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I haven't but that would seem a really good place to start. I'll try that this evening and let you know. Thanks for taking the time to respond :thumbsup: , guys.

7. Jayz

Jayz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (Embarrassed to ask but...) What does a component lead look like? Is it a single cable or one with red, yellow and white inputs?

8. Jayz

Jayz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: ...and equally importantly, if I am connecting up my DVD player/recorder to my TV through component leads, will they also carry sound?? Currently, everything is being accomplished by the single scart.

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry Jayz, you'll need to connect your DVD player to the TV with a standard Phono/Phono cable to get sound when using Component. Phono out on the DVD palyer to Phono In on the TV. Will work automatically.

Jimmy

10. Jayz

Jayz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jimsan - I didn't have the time to buy component leads yesterday but will do this evening. I have resolved the problem, though - simply by removing all scarts and re-engaging them (again). I'll keep an eye on it though as need to be sure nothing wrong with the scart input on TV - all seems well, though.

Cracking screen and just looks sooo good. Best £1850 that I've spent. :smashin: