Philips 9976 and football

S

spur4awin

I watch a lot of football and other sports. How is the 9976 on handling fast moves ,is there any bluring ?
Or can you recommend another set with fast response time ?

spur4awin said:
I watch a lot of football and other sports. How is the 9976 on handling fast moves ,is there any bluring ?
Or can you recommend another set with fast response time ?
The 9976 is basically the same screen as the 9986 which has an excellent reputation displaying sport. It has the same Pixel Response at 12ms and excellent adjustability to suit sport.

There is a thread back a few pages where a chap was setting his screen up to watch football. Something like '9986 and watching sport'

The Sharps struggle a bit with poor quality sources...

Jimmy

It is a bit of a fallacy about the Sharps struggling with poor quality sources. I have a 37" Sharp and have no problems. Any LCD Phillips, Sharp, Toshiba or whatever will have problems with poor sources. What is a poor source? I watch most of the main channels on SKY and DVD's and have not come across one yet!

You havn't come across a poor source jimg? Lucky you.

Some people still watch the odd broadcast from terrestrial, and if you lived where we do, you'd soon witness a poor source! The Philips can drag an amazing picture out of disgraceful RF feeds and make them quite good. The old CRT couldn't even do that.

It is well noted in assorted publications that the Sharp is prone to picture noise even on some of the lower bit-rate Satellite broadcasts, and certainly when I did a side by side with the Sharp and the Philips, the Philips did a better job with the variety of sources we tried.

The point I was making is that, with the evidence I've seen, the Philips has the edge on overall PQ.

Jimmy

I agree with your comments about terrestial being poor in certain areas, come to Devon and you will see it is not much better here! As far as magazines go, well I have seen so many errors in their reporting ( many listed on this forum ) that I take it all with a pinch of salt. All I can say is that I spent a long time researching as you did, and plenty of testing and at the end of the day found the Sharp to be fine, once set up and configured properly. What I have found is that a lot of this processing of the signal produces an "unreal" image as reported by others on this forum. I have turned most of mine off on the Sharp and personally think it is better for it.

I agree with you here, overprocessing is not desirable with good sources, but is sometimes a necessary evil when attempting to clean up rubbish signals. I tend to rum my 9986 with as little processing as possible. This is one of the reasons I feel the 9976 is a bit of a dark horse. Nearly £500 cheaper than the 9986 and nearly the same spec!

I have a huge anount of respect for the Sharp range and the only reason I am familiar with its few limitations is that after major LCD trawling. it came down to a fistfight between the Sharp and the Philips.

Jimmy

imh said:
You sure can, PQ might be a touch better, but that wont help Spurs get better...

I thought a new set would help us ,I would try it anyhow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom