Philips 9965, cloudy blobs on screen ?

ksteed

Standard Member
Reaction score
screen only 8 weeks old, after 5 weeks cloudy blobs started apearing & spreading ? It is not screen burn, any ideas anyone ?
Phoned retailer who was more than happy to take my £3500, but tells me to speak to philips about it who just want to send a couriere to collect it ! parted with the cash, just to look at a blank wall all night, told them not to collect it. Any advise ? cheers:

You are entitled to a lasting repair, replacement or refund. The store may want Philips to look at it in order to repair it, so I'm afraid it may have to go away for a while. It's better to sort this out sooner rather than later, so I would agree to them taking it away for investigation if I were you. Let us now how you get on with Philips though.

BTW who did you buy from? ultimately they are responsible for the set not Philips. However they are probably right to direct you to the manufacturer at this stage.

Thanks for the reply Elvis. I have read about all your problems, hope you are sorted out now.
As you have said, it should be down to the retailer, I stopped philips collecting my screen for now, phoned Hi-speck and told them that I wanted the screen inspected by their customer service, as they are the retailer, So i am waiting for a visit from them.
These cloudy marks are even on the screen when it is switched off! and nothing attached. Must be a faulty screen.

Sounds like screen burn to me. Shouldn't happen like that though. Still, it's the retailer's responsibility to sort it out after 3 weeks to start of problem. I don't sell philips, samsung, LG or hitachi due to lack of manufacturer support and frequency of problems.

thanks for the reply Maw, It is definately not screen burn, these blobs are all over the place, it looks like something from the set of 101 dalmations. I make sure that i dont watch anything with a pattern on the screen that would cause a burn. I install cctv cameras with split screens all day long, giving screen burn a plenty, but beleive me, this is weird. Not for one minute questioning your imput, as it is highly respected. Honestly, this is weird.
I will go for a replacement, or even better a refund. Any sudgestions for a 42" with built in speakers.
Thanks for the imput

I believe the PA20 or new 30 is the only non-alis glass option. Can you freeview? That needs to be checked before your decision, which might also be affected by the appearance of the 2 screens. A cheaper way of doing this is a PW6 with side speakers and a freeview box, if that pushes your buttons? You then get to choose your freeview options, like HDD recording, TUTV (titsup tv, pay service) interactive, internet, media content from PC on network and lots of other funky fun things to play with. Still think you dalmatian plasma is a form of burn, very premature. Some alis panels have been reported with screen burn after only a few hours of being turned on. I can't imagine what would have caused this, but it could be that some areas of your screen are 'hypersensititve' so to speak, and have burned at a different rate to the rest of the panel. The symptons are identical with screenburn, just as you well know, this is usually a logo, menu, bright stationary object. I'm sure this is not conventional, user caused, screenburn, just the end result is the same.

thanks Maw, have got Sky +, does this make a difference ?
would like a screen with buil in speakers that works without any hassle. Having built in speakers saves me switching on the whole system for her in doors & eastenders. It has got to the point that stuff the budget, what ever it takes. Must have a seperate tuner box though, as all the cables are run under flooring to that point. Screen is on the wall, pride of place,....with blobs. Mind you, will have to remove the 10m philips extension cable going out the house & back in, and replace it with the panasonic version though, but hey, I want it right.
Thanks Maw

Er, isn't the philips cable just VGA and stereo audio? If it is, there's such an easy solution, and with sky+ you have no need of an analogue tuner at all. The PW^ and side speakers would be totally hassle free, turn it on and there it is, a tv remote with a volume control, and sky. I think you can put the PW6 remote code into sky remote too.

sorry to be thick Maw, I am using the tuner box to hook up the sky + ,dvd, vcr & camcorder. With the vga with phono's feeding the plasma with everything, so that i just have to worry about the one cable going on a 10m hike to the screen. I have a feeling you are going to tell me a better way of doing things, please do.

Naturally! Don't rip out that cable till you've decided which plasma fits the bill. With your current setup, you could connect DVD to sky VCR scart, and Sky TV scart to JS RGB to VGA box, VGA + audio to panasonic plasma + speakers, and scart switching will take care of things for you. Turn on DVD and that's what you'll see. Turn it off and sky will re-appear. Tell them the cable has been built in, and as the screen is beyond repair I doubt if that will be too much trouble.

maw, thank you so much. The 10m cable was an extra I had to purchase, so its mine anyway. I just hope they will now give me a refund so i can take you good advise. Hope they just dont replace the same unit. Is it repairable ? God hope not.
Apreciate you sound advise.
Will sky + going straight to the screen give a better picture ?
Will let you know how things go, if i get a refund, want to sell me a screen ?
Thanks

Very happy to help if I can, screen wise or whatever. I'd expect sky+ and DVD via John Sim RGB-VGA unit to an panasonic to be as good as it gets plasma picture wise until the money gets silly. You can improve it with a scaler, Lumagen or iscan HD, but other than that, and they both cost £1k, don't worry. As your cable is already in place it makes sense to use it.

can confirm the philips vga works with another/panny/toshiba plasma`s, its actually good quality vga with stereo audio and ferrite cores at both ends...

one little note is that with the philips vga i used with my toshiba/panny plasma the neck of the vga lead with ferrite core is quite long and its hard to bend back up so no wires showing under plasma.

Things can only get.....................worse
Hispeck in st albans now despite a sales manager saying that customer service will send someone out to look at the screen, who did not contact me, have now told me when i phoned them today. " that is not the case" they will get the screen collected by philips and taken back to them for repair.
Apparently they do not have anyone to come out and look at the point blank obviously faulty screen.
I explained that I was not prepared to go without a screen 8 weeks old for 2 weeks and that I am not really interested in what philips would like, as I purchased the screen from HISPECK and not philips. Told them as per my rights, I want a replacement or refund.
There reply was that a courier from philips will be contacting you.

In other words, we have taken £3500 from you, lets have the screen back as well !

Help ! ! ! !

Just typed in customer service on the HISPECK site

Search came up with................zero items to view in this search !

I agree

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom