Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 9965,bugger..

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by markus933, Nov 17, 2004.

1. markus933

markus933
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys first post here.

Anyway,on a recent trip with the family to Birmingham went into a Currys+ store and bumped into a 37` Philips 9965 wall mounted and running `Pirates of the Caribbean` on a Yamaha dvd player.I was truly stunned by the image,it was so much better than anything else they had running in there and had an almost 3D quality to it.
    After some serious wife stlye negotiations i managed to get the purchase signed off.Checked this web site and all the profesional reviews i could find raved about it,it had numerious `best buy` awards.Great.Shopped about on the net and managed to find a "GRADED" one as i understand this model is now dicontinued for £1699...bargin.
    My old panasonic dvd player has only a composite or s-vhs output so i also bought a Yamaha dvd with progresive scan output and 70 quids worth of component cables for what i thought would be the ultimate output right?..wrong,although Philips are happy to spalsh progresive scan over everthing what they fail to tell you is its vga output only and all i get is a blank screen when i try and run the dvd in progresive mode!. :eek:
    Gutted..the other couple of problems ive noticed are an intermitant green tint that seems to affect the dvd image periodicaly and kinda pulses,any ideas?

Ive got it set up with a set top digi box and obviously the pictures no where near as good as the dvd image i fell in love with several weeks ago in Currys.Is there anything i can do (barring taking it back!)to improve this?Are some set top boxes better than others?would an rgb output help and be worth spending my money on or is this as good as it gets?

I still like the philps i`m just a bit disapointed with with a few things,i knew there would be a trade off between size and image quality over my 32` JVC crt tv.Just want to get the best i can out of my new purchase.Any 9965 owners views would be very much apperciated.Cheers guys,great forum.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Your set top box should have an RGB setting, and make sure it's set to 16:9 while you are in there.
    I have to say your experience is not untypical for philips new owners, they do have their fans, but not amongst the professionals here. We could sell them if we wanted to, it's not just sour grapes, they really do not live up to our ideals.