1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9965 and progessive signals

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by continuity, Dec 4, 2003.

1. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody with a Philips 9965 managed to display signals from a progressive source such as an DVD player?
    I've heard the 9965 series doesn't accept progressive signals through regular inputs (scart,component). The only way is to use the VGA input, which is directly feed to the panel without applying any digital processing like Pixel Plus etc.

Can anybody confirm, that its possible to do this (e.g. with a component to vga converter).

Thanks in advance,
    MH

2. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is true that Philips 9965 doesn't accept progressive scan inputs but only if connected through the E box. That's the way Pixel plus works. I believe there is a component input on the panel itself and it can accept 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    JVC DR-M1 DVD recorder plays a supposed Pal-Progressive output through component video inputs of 42PF9965 media box, also plays NTSC Progressive Scan through same inputs.
    JVC DR-M1 owners will know there are four settings for Progressive Scan in menu, the Philips played all of these.
    NTSC Progressive juddered noticeably using Pulp Fiction or The Hulk. Pal-Progressive looked fine.

4. continuity

continuity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it work or not? I think the 9965 has 4 Picture modes:
    - normal or whateva (no processing)
    - progressive (makes interlaced sources progressive)
    - pixel plus (progressive plus resolution enhancement)
    - movie plus (pixel plus and motion detection magic stuff)

The problem is, as far as I've heard, if the source is already progressive, the philips only shows black screen. Also in the manuals there is no mention of HDTV compatible modes like 480p, 720p etc.