1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 9725 "problems" (noobs view )

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jimdad, Dec 27, 2002.

1. jimdad

jimdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a short post to redress the balance a little on the philips TV issues that permeate the forum. I took delivery on Christmas eve ( phew !!!) of my new Philips system of 9725TV , LX300D DVD and 730 VCR. I was almost scared to look at the TV in case I had the black bars etc but I have to say that I am blown away by the quality of the picture and sound from the system. I chucked on my Eagles "Hell freezes Over" DVD first thing on christmas morning and if it gets any better than this I'll be surprised.

I realise that I may have been lucky/could be speaking too soon etc. but as a non-expert pixel plus does it for me in most situations. Even the football is reasonable although not the best use of it.

There are obviously some people who have had problems with Philips sets and I feel genuinely sorry for them - I don't know what i'd have done if mine had come with a prob on Christmas eve - but that hasn't been (so far ) my experience.

BTW, thanks to all who answered my previous posts and who have increased my knowledge of all things AV dramatically. I hope you all had a good Christmas and wish you a happy New Year.

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Jimdad

I am thinking of buying the 9617 model with the 5.1, can you let me know if you have any problems with this set like the halos or shimmering around objects.

Aslo if you see any more dvds that are ntsc what are they like?

thanks evans

p.s Im still a bit short on they money side so I am still waiting another month or so to get one.

3. jimdad

jimdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evans,
    As I said, i'm not really an expert in AV matters but for what its worth I don't see any odd effects most of the time. I keep the pixel plus on all the time and the TV is a joy to watch. There is something "not quite right" about watching football on it but I can't put my finger on it. One big improvement when watching football, though, is that Man U. always seem to lose now. Just waiting for Sir Alex to blame Pixel Plus. :p

Haven't used any DVDs that aren't region 2 so i can't offer you any help there.

4. digitalsauce

digitalsauce
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had two 9617's 'so far' and have to say that whilst the first set was *almost* perfect for me, bar the deep scratches that it came with, the 2nd set is utterly terrible in terms of picture quality.. so much so that its not that different from my old none-PixelPlus set in terms of quality of picture.. i.e there is nothing 'wowable' about it at all. Both 9617's have the 'shimmering' around objects at certain times depending on programme.. the 2nd set (that I have at the moment, that *is* going back sometime next week for different reasons) is worse than the first in terms of picture quality, shimmering, pixelation.. So it really boils down to the set that you get on the day (the luck of the Gods).

Football is worrying to be quite honest.. the problem is that when the screen pans quite quickly you will notice that 'beyond the background' it appears a little strange.. it catches your eyes,parts of the screen, takes your concentration away from the ball .. it will take some getting used to I'm afraid, if ever. Its also going to show the problems of the set up and your friends are going to ridicule the set based on soccer.. BUT, having said that the first 9617 I had was pretty damn good for everything else.. stunning infact. Films (via NTL Digital) were DVD like.. even normal TV arial broadcasts were quite amazing.. just not on the new set.. blurry, scratched, out of focus crap.. and obviously from the same batch as the other one (having the scratches in the same place) .. So the sets are not going through a good testing phase!

Much more of this and I'll take a chance with an FQ80 ..