Philips 963SA: Which settings do you use?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MainMan, Jan 5, 2003.

1. MainMan

MainMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this nice player for a month now, and I'm still not decided as to what settings to use on the Philips. I'm using a LCD PJ (Sony HS1) via component. The settings in question are (correct me if I'm forgetting some): TrueLife, gamma, black level shift, sharpness, and chroma delay.

Reg. black level shift: The manual states that this setting is for NTSC outout only, but that doesn't seem to be true. You still have a choice of on or off in PAL as far as I remember.

Reg. chroma delay: What the heck is it anyway??

Make sure to output prog PAL as unprocessed, not 480P, otherwise it looks quite bad IMO.

A source of confusion are the sharpness adjustments, because you have one on the PJ (set to 0 on mine), and more or less two on this player; the sharpness and the TrueLife, which I perceive to be a kind of sharpness setting as well with a limited radius. Maybe it does other things as well, though.

I guess my question is: Do you have any insights on what settings to use to get the best overall picture with a balance between neutrality / lack of artifacts, and "punch"?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just leave everything at 0.

I found TrueLife gives a weird jagged effect on red objects (especially text on menus).

DCDi is On.