Philips 963SA SACD 'Digital Out' Problem??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jonny1973, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just unpacked the 963SA tonight.

Done the PAL PS and multi-region hacks and my AE100 sees PAL as 625P and NTSC as 525P. So everything's fine then.

When I play one of the sample SACD's, my amp doesn't see a digital audio stream.

At the moment, I'm having to use the analogue outputs to hear anything. Surely I'm losing quality by having to use analog instead of digital into the amp.

Is this normal?? Is this some kind of crazy piracy issue. Maybe they were scared of perfect digital copies or something.

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i might have this totally wrong but i have a 962sa ans the sacd is only out of the 6 multichannel analog outputs

3. Yummy Fur

Yummy Fur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonny1973 said-

I think you've answered your own question!

As far as I'm aware the only player capable outputting digital SACD will be the forthcoming (just released?) Pioneer 757Ai.... and then via i.LINK (IEE 1374) of which (at least initially) the only amp/processor equipped with suitable inputs will be the forthcoming Pioneer VSA-AX10i . Hopefully this will become a industry standard input, but.....

Yummy Fur

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a piracy issue but I believe that optical or coax outputs are also simply not up to the job of carrying high res audio. I stand to be corrected on that one.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    its supposedly to do with piracy, and so is perfectly normal. I think all SACD and DVD audio players are the same.

Digital out is just for DVD movie audio and CDs (upsampled if your amp can handle it)