Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Philips 963sa replacement board resolves component image faults

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Peter Parker, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,720
    Just seen this over at avs:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29694380&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

qutoe from avs:

"It seems that replacing the YUV card equipped with tha FLI2310 chip, the image is much better, with deeper black, more vivid colors and no green stripes. Someone says that he had the card replaced by a Philips technician, who explained that in sold 963 players there are problems with the deinterlacing software, image treatment and compononent output level. "

I wonder how we'll be able to get this done?

I've also tried the scart output into my HT1000, and it seems to give a slightly better picture from the short time I tried it. Unfortunately, my HT1000 suffers from the macrovision via this connection, so it's difficult to get a good review due to the interference.

I'll start a new thread for known macrovision free discs so we can get a better idea...

Gary.

2. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting reading - thanks for the link :smashin:.

3. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'm assuming this is only for machines exhibiting the green / yellow strips artefact?

I've had my 963SA since early November (imported from Holland) and I've seen none of the problems reported.

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I returned mine to Robertsons. The contrast was rubbish on component.

I wonder if this would have fixed it?

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Anyone know if this would affect the 962SA with the Faroudja chipset? I haven't noticed any problems to be honest but if there's improvements to be had it might be worth investigating..

Andy

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,720
    Puddleduck,

the faint yellow strips are only visible in progressive mode, and only on the left had side to about 20% in. They're very faint and only visible under certain conditions - I haven't tried the 963 on a tv, but I see them on my HT1000.

I think I'm the only one to have seen a posterisation effect in peoples faces in interlaced mode (it's not there in progressive).

I reduced ghosting by adjusting the chroma delay, and it greatly improved the red lettering at the beginning of Blade, so I'm going to try out interlaced mode again tonight, along with some new cables I got just out of curiosity - got some £5 RGB cables and some £30 RGB cables - I'll be comparing them with my home made ones to see if there's any visible diffeence.

Gary.