Philips 963SA Hack idiot's guide

RedRose

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread on this, but maybe I'm not only one (or maybe I am) who doesn't completely follow the hack info.
Why do you need a Pronto or All4One to input the RC6 code but not for the PAL Prog code.
Also, Why is the RC6 code talked about separately from the "222 222 005 255" code needed after the RC6 code. I'm sure I'll understand if some kind soul can explain it in language that their grandmother would understand (to misquote Einstein)
Thanks.

Originally posted by RedRose
Sorry to start a new thread on this, but maybe I'm not only one (or maybe I am) who doesn't completely follow the hack info.
Why do you need a Pronto or All4One to input the RC6 code but not for the PAL Prog code.
Also, Why is the RC6 code talked about separately from the "222 222 005 255" code needed after the RC6 code. I'm sure I'll understand if some kind soul can explain it in language that their grandmother would understand (to misquote Einstein)
Thanks.

OK RedRose. I was feeling generous, so I've just gone through the 963SA thread (again) on your behalf. There is a link in there to a site which explains exactly how to carry out the RC6 hack using the various remotes.
Here it is again

That's all there is to it. You do what it says to get the ------- etc dashes on the display, then you enter the hack code quoted in the thread to do the MR conversion. This is how you do it on a lot of Philips players.

The PAL prog mod doesn't require RC6, because this is a 'semi-official' thing. MR conversion can never be official, so they have to make a bit more of an attempt at making it difficult to do. Hence 'RC6' required first.

Thanks AV Junky
I also found out that RC6 stood for RemoteControl protocol v.6 rather than RegionControlforRegion6 which is what I thought it meant; region 6 being some sort of "super region" which bypassed normal restrictions. It seems that Philips are very open with their command language unlike many other brands.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom