1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 963SA digital out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by S2KI, Jan 26, 2003.

1. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone help me, I think I may have a problem. I have been wanting a good PAL prog scan DVD player for a while now, and having had a limit 9900SE for the past 2 weeks. I decided to get a 963SA. I thought the limit was ok for a budget player, but it went back due to build and sound quality.

Yesterday I got a 963SA, initial thoughts were good. Improvements in sound and build. However 2 things got my attention. 1) the picture seems more grainy, especially in dark scenes, compared to the limit. Whether this is as it shows more detail is to be further investigated.

And 2) Which is the question. I cannot play CD's through the optical out to my Denon AVR 2802. I know SACD's wont play, but CD's should. Does anyone have any advice? I am thinking about returning it and getting a Denon DVD 2800 mkII. What should I do?

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, two things I can think of:

1. Check your amps digital input assignment. The digital inout you use has to be set to DVD. And set the amp to auto on the signal detection mode.

2. Check the Philips digital audio out, in the setup menu, this has to be on.

BTW. IMO, if you should decide to return it, dont get the 2800mkII, get the 3800.

3. Maqui123

Maqui123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably CD upsampling is on. Disable it or lower to 96kHz (if yor amp can handle that).

Regards

4. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, reduce your upsampling if you are playing CDs via the digital connection. If this doesn't work, use a coaxial digital connection which supports higher resolution than optical.

....and the grainyness is probably caused by TrueLife being set too high in the "Digital Crystal Clear"(progressive) menu. You should also select "Personal Colour" in the Colour Settings menu and either zero it out(and adjust your display) or adjust that to get a good picture.

Cheers,

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Is 'personal colour settings' and 'true life' available when using component output?

I too noticed that grainy films are made worse with the Philips prog scan

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    ...maybe you are seeing the grain that was already there, but you couldn't see before on 'lesser' DVD players ;P

As mentioned though, try setting Trulife to 0.

7. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TrueLife does work on the component out in progressive mode. True life is one of the functions of the FLI2300 chip.
    The "colour settings" do not affect the component video output.
    Cheers,