Philips 963SA. Best in its price range?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jtorry, Apr 6, 2003.

1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking at PAL/NTSC prog scan players and this appears to be a popular choice. Is it the best I could get for under £400? The only other player i am aware of of the Harman Kardon DVD25, but this seems to be less in favour. Any help please. I am after the player with best picture/sound quality, not the most feture packed.

Also, would one of these players be worth getting over my home theatre PC? I am using a Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector if it matters. Thanks.

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think you'll find people split on the 963SA. I had one for a while but it went back due to audio drop outs & other picture faults. I think it very much depends on whether you get a good one or not. Some poeple appear to have one without a problem & others get one with problems of a recurring theme (just search this site).

The one I had ran hotter than any other DVD player I've used as well !

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i got the q50 philips with pro scan ntsc and pal and it is fantastic, will have the jvc pro scan tv tomorrow to try the pro scan on it but if its like the interlaced on my small tv i will be very happy.

The 963sa has the newer chip from faroudja and better video dont know how much difference the picture is from mine but Im happy with this one!