1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 963SA audio tweak

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cwick, Sep 22, 2003.

1. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just though I'd mention this AVSForum thread. Sounds interesting.

Have sourced said cap from HiFiCollective. I've never used 'em before, but we'll see how it goes.

Not sure if the mod translates to UK spec machines, but I'll take a look under the hood this evening and see if the numbers add up.

Cheers, Carl.

2. meridian

meridian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Carl,
    I also saw this thread and checked out my European version purchased from Soundform. The part shows 100u-M and 400v. Do you think the slighty different rating would make any difference to a player that has a switching power supply?
    Cheers, Steve.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hi Steve,

Sounds exactly the same as mine - I replaced the standard 100uF/400V cap for a Blackgate 150uf/350v cap.

I ran it by Dexter at HiFiCollective, who was confident it would be fine - the higher capacitance can only be a good thing, apparently. I measured the voltage across the cap as 325v, so figure it still has a good margin even with the lower rated Blackgate cap.

It's been running for the past week with no problems. Sadly I haven't really been able to spend the time running it in, so can't report any startling difference in sound quality yet. 100+ hours required, apparently.

But it's certainly no worse.

Cheers, Carl.

4. meridian

meridian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Carl,
    I also took a punt with the slighty different rating cap. Measured the same across the board before and after installation. I have been running for approx a week now with no problems. Like yourself have yet to establish if there is any difference but will keep you posted.
    Cheers, Steve.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I have the older 962 SA, so I was wondering if this mod is applicable.

Blackgate caps (if I remember correctly) take a lot of time to build to full charge 24Hrs +, this means that the sound is pretty poor unless you leave the player switched on permanently. This is the problem with Naim amps, which sound awfull from cold (one of the reasons why shop demos are a bad idea).