1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 963 vs Toshiba 900e

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by t-force, Aug 23, 2003.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'm in the market for a new DVD player, and I had been considering the Philips 963SA (assuming I can find one that works properly!!), as it has PAL prog (not particularly bothered with SACD at the moment, as my processor doesn't have a 6 channel input, but I can get that later - so no prizes for guessing what it is!!). However, I've read so much about the reliability problems with them, that I'm having second thoughts. The Tosh 900e is now available for £500 from some sources (like LE Concepts, although they don't have a great reputation, but with a reliable player like the Tosh I should be OK, right?), and has a fantastic reputation behind it, even though it was slightly more than I was looking to spend, but for a bargain like that, I'd be willing to stretch, I guess.

So my question is this: is the Tosh going to be worth the extra funds over the Philips, especially with regard to PQ and sound - including CD playback?

All answers greatly appreciated.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Are you looking for PAL Progressive playback specifically? The Toshiba SD900 doesn't have that, it converts PAL to NTSC for progressive output but the results are not wonderful. That aside, it's certainly a superb player and a bargain at 500 quid.

Not sure whether you've seen it or not but the new Toshiba 530 is listed as having both PAL & NTSC Progressive on LeConcepts website and is only 200 quid. Might also be worth a look.

3. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    The majority of my discs are NTSC, so I'm not massively fussed by PAL prog, and from what I've heard the interlaced output over component on the 900 is bloody good anyway. I'd just regard it as a minor minus point for the Tosh, rather than a massive stumbling block.

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    Well I've just bought a 963SA off the forums and it's fantastic. CD playback and SACD sound wonderful. PQ is good for a 'normal' dvd player (i.e. no DVI/scaling to 720p etc). I'd recommend it over the Tosh, I got mine for £180 which I think was a bargain, if you can get one for a similar price then I'd seriously consider it!

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi t-force,

As you only really need NTSC PS, the Tosh would be ideal for you. I've had mine for a couple of years and it has never given any problems at all. The player is built like a tank and cost well over £1000 when it was first released. NTSC PS into my plasma is superb, as is DVD-Audio and CD playback. At £500 it's an absolute bargain. :smashin:

Steve

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Anyone else want to add anything?

So far we've got two votes for the Philips and one for the Tosh? Has anyone had the chance to compare the two of them for pq and sound? How would the interlaced PAL feed compare on the Tosh measure up to the de-interlaced PAL from the Tosh?

And CDs?

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    I had the Tosh 900E, I've also had an Arcam DV88 and a Philips 962SA and now a Philips 963SA and a Momitsu V880. Progressive PAL from the tosh is horrible, it's converted to NTSC and it sucks! I've just watched LOTR:TTT on the Philips and I was very impressed with the picture, in my opinion you're better off seeing if you can get a Philips for a decent price, think £500 for the tosh is too much in the current marketplace, sure it's a good player but so are cheaper alternatives these days. SACD seems to be a better format as far as choice of music goes, worth it for Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon alone! CDs sound fantastic, it upsamples to 96khz and it does seem to make a nice improvement, it's the first player I've had where I'm using the analog outputs instead of feeding the digital output to my amp (AVC-A1SE btw!) which says something for it's CD performance.
    Hope that helps

Cheers,
    Andy.

8. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I've just got hold of a Tosh 900e (see my thread somewhere below) and I can tell you that it blew my Sony 7700 out of the water for interlaced output and the progressive scan for NTSC has to be seen - its simply fantastic.
    If you want one of these be quick. I paid £499 for mine last week and I don't think there are many left. Remeber, you'll have to fork out £1400 for its current equivalant