1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 963 SA - Prog. Scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TimF, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a lame question - But how do you know if you are getting pal prog signal.

I rec'd my 963 sa this AM and multi regioned it ok.

Previous threads refer to latest machines being pal prog out of the box so I haven't done the prog scan hack - The light comes on when you switch to prog scan at the back of the player and the picture appears to sharpen.

All very well I hear you say

- but my panny 100 projector reports 525p with both region 1 and region 2 DVD's and not 625p with pal as I expected.

Have I forgotten something? - I don't want to do the pal prog hack and screw it up.

How do I know what firmware the player is using?

Any help from exiting owners very welcome!!

Cheers

2. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there's an option in the video settings for the output, 480p (NTSC prog scan) or unprocessed (pal prog).. choose the second option and it should come through on the projector.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Tim

It sounds like your 963 is converting pal to NTSC progressive, check the settings in you player menu it is probably set to convert pal to NTSC, if not you will probably have to do the pal prog hack, and then re-do the Multi-region hack.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Damb! Martin just beat me :(

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a bright blue led on the front panel!!!!

Make sure you have flicked the switch on the rear of the player.

6. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jonny

Bright blue led was on (it comes on with the switch at the back) but I was not getting true pal prog scan despite this being a brand new machine. (525p not 625p)

Anyway done the handset hack (And the MR hack again!) and there you go - new menu options and 625p on my projector.

Just been re-watching some disks - truly superb - this is a great DVD player - picture is awsome and sound excellent.

IMHO after auditioning the Arcam DV88+ (in my system) the 963 is the better player.

BTW - the blue led is bit bright in a cinema room - will have to stick some tape on it!

Cheers

7. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest Jonny, is the blue light on the 963sa similar to the decoding light on the Sony DB940 ??