Philips 962SA to Denon 2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karkus30, Jul 25, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Im all but ready to press the button and buy a 2900 @ £539 it looks good VFM. But it doesnt have the Farouja chip that is on the Philips machine and no one really mentions the audio side of things ie SACD playback (the 963 got rave reviews from audiophile magazines-not WHF).

Is this the beasty to go for ?

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Having weighed up the pros and cons, the Denon seems to be the best VFM.

The pioneer 868 gets a good write up so does the Sony 999, but these players are around double the price, so is the Arcam and Marantz. The new Denon 5900 would be nice, but again , the cost puts it out of range.

Judging by all the comments I have read, the Denon doesnt seem to be the very last word in Video performance, but is very close to the top of the pile. DVD-A performance looks good, with SACD just a touch behind. I am not bothered by CD replay as I have a seperate system for that. It seems pretty well built and is mostly reliable (more than Philips players anyway).

Button pressed. It will be interesting to compare the PQ and SQ of the 962SA against the newer Denon. My guess is there wont be a lot in it.