Philips 962sa, progessive help.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by darren7, Sep 15, 2002.

1. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips 962sa

Hi there guys and Girls.

Just a few q about this super DVD player, I had had the player (Hivizone) for around 3 weeks now and I have just started setting it up and would like a bit of connection advise.

I have the component van dam as advised by all you people, (very nice quality)

I am using the Sony vw11ht and would like to just ask what the setting you guys are using on the DVD player.

I have this plugged into the progressive output on the DVD player. On Sony inputs on the screen it says input A prog 525, I think its 525 anyway around that, I thought that the Pal prog was 625, is this correct or is this something interlaced or something?

Should I put this in the other non-prog socket on the DVD? Or is there no way of getting 625, I have to ask this as there is no progressive pal section in the manual.

How are you all connecting yours up and what settings?

I have to say that this is a top player and if you can get hold of 1 do so

what is all this 625 de-interlaced thing about?

Thanks

Darren

:confused:

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Darren,

there are a number of threads about this subject. No one seems to know for sure what the true answer is.
    You are correct about the 625 being progressive, my PLV30 does not show the number of lines being input, but in any case it does'nt have 625p only 575p. I set it to auto and it works.

You need to connect to the prog outputs for prog scan ( prog scan is also referred to as de interlaced ).

Somebody else had the same problem as you, but it turned out he had been using an R1 disc, when he put in the R2 everything was fine, but it still did not show the 625p input.

There is a small section in the Philips manual mentioning NTSC/PAL switching, it can be accessed by switching the machine off and on while pressing one of the buttons.

As I am happy with the picture quality I have not seen fit to fiddle, but I would be interested in any results you have.

Gordon Convergent seemed to have difficulty answering the question over the difference between the number of lines input on the PJ and the figure of 625 for prog scan, if he does'nt know then you can assume no one else on the forum would either.

Hope this has'nt caused further confusion.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi just tested this out on my 962sa with my toshiba 42wp16
    with a r1 dvd it shows up at 525p then with a pal r2 it shows up at 625p
    hope this helps
    do you have your 962sa set to put out pal or ntsc?
    does this make any p/q differance? i cant tell on mine it looks the same

4. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello jmack

How do you know the screen is inputted 525p or 625p? I don't know how to get this to shohw up on my plasma. All I can get to come up is 'Component 16:9'.

Cheers
    Andrew

5. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Darren,
    Your 962sa from HiViZone will be handset hacked to output both progressive NTSC(525p/480p visible) and PAL(625p/576p visible). It should automatically output either 480p NTSC or 576p PAL. As I recall, the 962 does not do NTSC<->PAL conversion. It is what it is.

When connecting the YPbPr component output from the 962 to either Input A or Input B on the 11HT, you need to correctly setup the input you are using on the projector.
    You setup the input in the "Set Setting" menu and set the appropriate input(A or B) the "DTV YPBPR" if you are feeding it a progressive signal.

To see what video format the projector is receiving on the 11HT, go to the "Input Setting" menu. Look at the bottom right side of the menu.
    If you play an NTSC disk, the projector will display "480/60p"
    If you play a PAL disk, the projector will display "575/50p"(some projectors show 576p)

I hope this helps.

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ajb found this on the us forum be carefull when you go in there
    here goes
    hold the volume button on the panell in while pressing the button under the power button (the status button) 3 times very fast

then a menu box comes up high light the iic mode then press the sellect button (the square button on the remote) in the the top right hand corner it will say what signal is being displayed only on component i have tried this

to return press the the R button the high light id mode then power off on the remote or panell

another thing if you high light the sd mode then sellect it tells you how many times you have powerd on and off the panell and even better an hour meter i thing the hours are on the right PT and the on/off meter WT is on the left ,
    i dont know what the rest of the stuff is

PLEASE BE CARFULL IN THERE

surprising my hour meter was only up to 103 hours feels like more

let me know how you get on

ps. you have to be playing a dvd at the time or it just says other

7. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont no how to set this from ntsc to pal, how is this done in the menu?

can you tell me more?

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its in the manual that comes with the player. Something like, switch off and power up while holding in one of the buttons.

Flick through the manual, it is in there or is that " the truth is out there" :eek:

9. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ajb did you manage to show what signal you imputting?

10. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello jmack

If you see my signature, you will see that I am between DVD players at the moment. I am unsure whether to get a DV88+ or a Philips 963SA when they come out or an American Philips 962SA (I have found a source!). So, I haven't tested out your little secret menu.

I have now started my career so I should have a few more funds to spend... Could be the Arcam then... And before you ask, when I bought my plasma, I was the only student in the world who owned one!

Regards
    Andrew

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Tried my 962 and Sanyo on manual mode tonight, set it to 575p and everythings plays fine, therefore I conclude it is outputting pure PAL progressive on R2.:D :D :D