1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 962 review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by karkus30, Aug 10, 2002.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    This is an imported player, not the one you can buy in Europe or the UK. Cost about 550.00 uk pounds all in all.
    Has PAL progressive and NTSC progressive and is region free.
    No Scart connection, but it does have SVHS and CVBS. Has the Farouja/ sage deinterlacing chipset with DCDI.

Feels nicely built, not as good as a Tosh 900 but better than my old Pioneer 962D. Very quiet in operation with a smooth precision disk drawer mech.

On screen menus had me a bit confused, but easy enough when you get used to them.

Handset is fine, not illuminated but it glows a bit in the dark.

Picture quality, well this one is displayed through my new PJ so comparisons with my old TV are a bit difficult. Playing Titan AE last night it was superb, colours rich and a three D effect I have heard other people reporting on high level players. Blacks were good too. Plenty of high level detail.

What really amazed was the difference in sound Q, I thought it would be about the same as my old player, but its much clearer with speech being better represented and a general tightening of bass. This means any metallic clanging sounds are far more real and you can hear subtle echoes better.

All in all, brilliant, not even played with all the settings, or bothered with the SACD.

All in all 10/10

What do others think?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed , it's the picture quality that makes this player so special, having said that SACD is great too so if you can live without DVD Audio (and I certainly can) then this player is about as close to ideal as you can get at the moment. I'd like to compare it with say the Denon 3800 really to see how it compares but right now I'm very happy with it and can't see me letting it go for a while!

Cheers
    Andy

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Probably end up starting a 962 owners club before long. Seriously though, it was your original posts that prompted me to buy this machine. Cheers for the imfo.

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    karkus30,
    Thanks for the review, I'm (still ) well tempted.
    I don't have a PJ but it would be replacing a Tosh3109 on plasma duties.
    How long did it take to arrive?
    I've ordered dvds from Hivizone so should get 5% off as well...

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Took about 10 days to arrive. Considering they are hacked and fully tested seems reasonable. Definitely recommend it. I am not easily impressed, but the picture and sound quality blew me away. Had some friends around last night, all they could say was oohhh ahhh, gasp, got to have one, must get money some how. Let me know how you get on.

Karl

6. brlaw

brlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my new 962A -- the picture is incredible. I was at a friend's house last night and watched the beginning of PearL Harbor on her Panny 50" plasma with all of her equipment-- most expensive equipment from the UK. The first scene with plane flying in showed jagged edges along the wings.

I played it on my 962A and absolutely no jagged edges! the picture was incredible.

that being said, i'm having trouble with playing the SACD and i've posted queries about that online. I can't get it to play SACD with my Denon Amp 3802. there is simply no sound. it plays regular CD fine. i have it connected to my amp using a digital coaxial cable.

i have bought my entire system -- panny 42 inch plasma, keff 2005 egg speakers, denon 3802 from this forum and i'm very grateful for all the advice. i was/am a novice and i've been able to pull together an amazing system thanks to everyone's comments.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Got the same problem through my Yamaha amp, I am not going to use it for audio, but am intrigued to know why. Have not tried picking up the outputs from front only channels direct from DVD player to amp, cant be bothered to dig out some cables etc. Wondered if, in multichannel mode it needs a special decoder.
    Tried it with standard CD, that was fine.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SACD is analogue only, the amp can't decode it, you have to connect it via the 5.1 analogue outputs, it's worth it though!

Andy

9. brlaw

brlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okay thanks! so that means i should get 6 cables to attach the six channels, right? is the digital coaxial cable useless now or should it stilll be plugged in? sorry for these dumb questions...

10. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its like this:

if u want to hear audio cds , SACD and listen DVD movies with analogical sound you will need only the 6 analogical cables. If u want DD and DTS u need to have the Digital cable attached to the DVD player (From the dvd player to the receiver) OR if u dont have a receiver and link it directly to the tv then u dont need the digital cable (if your dvd player can decode DD and DTS of course)

I hope it helps.

11. brlaw

brlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Since I want to hear SACD and listen through DTS and DD on the DVDs that I play, does that means that i should have the 6 analog cables attached AND the digital coaxial attached? my receiver is the denon 3802.

Are there any type of analog cables that you suggest? there are so many -- copper, silver, gold... will it make a difference?

Thanks again!

Bruce

12. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If u connect to the 3802 you need a digital cable + 6 analogue cables. I´d suggest the Qued Qunex 2 (£25 each pair 0.5m) they are not cheap but are very good. If u dont want to spent that much there profigold cables, cheper but not as good as the Qunex 2.

Regards
    P.R.

13. brlaw

brlaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks P.R.

So, just to clarify, do I need six pairs of Qued Qunex 2? £150 for cables? Any ideas for good deals?

14. morgoth

morgoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, you just need 3 pairs (3x2=6) so it will cost u £75 pounds.

Regards,
    P.R.